Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Brandenburg catchment project pics

Thought you guys might appreciate some pics from last weekend's water development project in Aravaipa. The AZ Desert Bighorn Sheep Society and the AZ Deer Association and AGFD and the BLM teamed up to redevelop two water projects, the Brandenburg and Buzan Catchments. Apparently these two were originally created by ASU and U of A, but one of them blew off the cliff and another one got blown out by flooding in a side canyon.

A local rancher (Langdon Hill) allowed about 75 people to camp out on his land and then two helicopters were used to ferry equipment and people up to the top of the canyon where the projects were located.

It was great to meet some new people and especially some who are fans of CW.com. Tracy (Gr8 White Jr) was there and I got to meet some friends of CnS and Gamehauler (it was Tanner and his wife). And also Jed Nitso was there as always since he works for AGFD for these kind of projects. Ben Brochu a WM for AGFD was there also and it was good to meet him. Most of the volunteers however were from the AZ Desert Bighorn Sheep society. We had maybe 10 deer people there and 65 sheep folks. We really need to get more deer people out there on these projects! These are very fun and the more people that go, the easier it is on everyone. I will try and post projects as they become available, but if you join the ADBSS or the ADA, you will receive emails and flyers about these projects so you can plan ahead. You don't even have to devote your entire weekend to it. Just come give what time you can. It's great camping and working with a bunch of hunters who are passionate about doing things to help wildlife.

Anyway, here are some pics.

This was the view walking down to the project area after being dropped off by helicopter.

post-1-1206048704_thumb.jpg

post-1-1206048743_thumb.jpg

post-1-1206048682_thumb.jpg

post-1-1206048582_thumb.jpg

post-1-1206048511_thumb.jpg

post-1-1206048653_thumb.jpg

post-1-1206048630.jpg

post-1-1206049361_thumb.jpg

post-1-1206048546.jpg

post-1-1206048532.jpg

Amanda

That is AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing Amanda! What a great turn out ya just gotta love all those folks for the ADBSS!

Amanda:

Is Langdon Hill the same guy who wrote advice-to-the-lovelorn stuff and appeared on Oprah, among other TV shows?

Bill Quimby

Thanks for sharing the pictures Amanda. Looks like that will be a great water for wildlife for many years to come. If someone has not been, its very rewarding to see how everybody works together to do an amazing amount of work in a short time, and the dinner Saturday night is an added bonus not to be missed.

Here are some photos of the other project that was going on at the same time not too far away. The two helicopters spent all day shuttling gear and people to both projects. This one is the Buzan catchment and it's the one that originally blew off the cliff. This time I think they secured it down better. The structure over the top catches rainwater and funnels it into the tank. Then there is a drinker that is fed by water in the tank.

Amanda

post-1-1206110202_thumb.jpg

post-1-1206110217_thumb.jpg

post-1-1206110232_thumb.jpg

Amanda:

Is Langdon Hill the same guy who wrote advice-to-the-lovelorn stuff and appeared on Oprah, among other TV shows?

Bill Quimby

I don't know Bill. I think he said he moved out to Aravaipa three years ago.

Amanda

Amanda:

Bill Quimby

I don't know Bill. I think he said he moved out to Aravaipa three years ago.

Amanda

I would guess that he is. That's a unique name. I remember that the guy on Oprah or some such show had a great sense of humor. (Note that I'm not admitting to watchng Oprah.)

Bill Quimby