coueschaser3

Question for yall.

Alright i got one for yall. I drew my 21 bull tag. I have been in the Gun business quite some time but normally hunt archery. I shoot very frequently, and have a pretty good knowledge of bullets and good guns for particular animals. Usually spend 60+ days a year Hunting/Scouting and add quite a bit more for range time. Now heres the question, personally i would never recommend someone a .270win for a bull hunt, especially open canyon country that may call for longer shots, up to 350yds. Now on the contrary i feel very comfortable with mine and can shoot quite respectably. I know the margin of error is effected rather significantly but i wont shoot past 350 and under less than ideal circumstances i am quite confident at that range. What is everyones opinion on this. I would typically suggest a minumum of a .280 for someone whom i am not familiar with their habits and shooting quality.

I would plan on shooting Remington 140grain premier Bonded core-locks. As they tend to fit the purpose and have always had good luck with em in this particular gun.

a .270 in the lungs will kill better than a .416 Nitro in the guts.

Ain't that right, Lark?

A 270 is a great caliber and I have shot many deer with it as well as my trusty old 30-06. I have always prefered the 30 cal. for elk though. Several years ago my wife bought me a 300 Rum and I now shoot it exclusively. It is an amazing rifle. For shooting elk I feel comfortable and confident out to 500 yards. It will put an elk down and out. I shoot 180 grain nosler partitions and have no complaints. I say shoot the gun the rifle you have the most confidence in.

I agree with shot placement but the fact could be argued for a 17hmr for that matter. In one of capsticks books he mentions two guys that killed and elephant with a 22lr then later another to prove they did it. Shot placement was right but duplicating that might cause one to become elephant toe jam. I think the 30 cal is definatley the best choice but i prefer shots under 100yds a can usually accomplish that with elk and at that range, hands down i have no issue, its the pushin 300yds. Just lookin for some good ole' controversial opinions. I have access to a .280 and .300winny but just really hate takin someone elses gun out and all my money is goin to scoutin gas.

I know that the .270 is plenty of gun for an elk hunt. However, in your unit (21) I would be ready,willing, AND ABLE to kill a bull at 400-500 yds. I would totally recomend a 300 Winny, RUM, Wby,...etc. ;)

Best of luck on a Fabulous tag!!!! ;)

CnS

I know that the .270 is plenty of gun for an elk hunt. However, in your unit (21) I would be ready,willing, AND ABLE to kill a bull at 400-500 yds. I would totally recomend a 300 Winny, RUM, Wby,...etc. ;)

CnS

Thanks, i know. The best part is only dealin with 9 other tags. i spend most of my bear time in there and the bulls if ya get away are amazing! i can see the need for the 300 thats why i brought it up, gettin close has rarely been my problem but im gonna run into the same problem as with coues, not so much the animal needin the long shot but the country. Glassin up a 350 plus 600yds away at almost sunset would kill me. Plan on gettin out every day off ive got maybe shed hunt the area a bit. im pretty sure where the other nine will hunt and im gonna be no where near there. but i am really thinkin about the 300 maybe ill just blow some money.

I have access to a .280 and .300winny but just really hate takin someone elses gun out and all my money is goin to scoutin gas.

I can't see any realistic difference between the 270 and 280. Your 270 and a 150 Partition or TSX will work fine if you are uncomfortable about borrowing the 300. You get to hunt with a rifle that you are familiar with and one that has less recoil leading to better shot placement. You can see what kind of shot distances you will have on your scouting trips.

THe 270 with a 150 Nosler is not much diff at 500 yards from a 300 with a 180 Nosler

http://federalammo.com/ballistics/Ammo_Sea...earm=1&s1=1

CnS

Thanks, i know. The best part is only dealin with 9 other tags. i spend most of my bear time in there and the bulls if ya get away are amazing! i can see the need for the 300 thats why i brought it up, gettin close has rarely been my problem but im gonna run into the same problem as with coues, not so much the animal needin the long shot but the country. Glassin up a 350 plus 600yds away at almost sunset would kill me. Plan on gettin out every day off ive got maybe shed hunt the area a bit. im pretty sure where the other nine will hunt and im gonna be no where near there. but i am really thinkin about the 300 maybe ill just blow some money.

Whoooo Hoooooo!!! Field Trip!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have access to a .280 and .300winny but just really hate takin someone elses gun out and all my money is goin to scoutin gas.

I can't see any realistic difference between the 270 and 280. Your 270 and a 150 Partition or TSX will work fine if you are uncomfortable about borrowing the 300. You get to hunt with a rifle that you are familiar with and one that has less recoil leading to better shot placement. You can see what kind of shot distances you will have on your scouting trips.

THe 270 with a 150 Nosler is not much diff at 500 yards from a 300 with a 180 Nosler

Well im gettin better input that i guessed. I understand the ballistic similarities, only think i was considering is the actual delivery of KE, Rather than just the fact of putting the hole where i want it. as we all know it can get windy in that country to so thats another issue. Heck depending on the end of my scouting i may end up takin the bowtech.... depends how confident i am in gettin in on em. Then again with most of that country, even after the shot, visiblilty is pretty good compared to typical elk country for the most part and would probably see the elk go down if it did cover a bit of ground after the shot. Then again i always wanted a nice 300 winny....

CNS, i think scoutin for this one is gonna be more of a home away from home than field trip. Im gonna go broke just on scoutin. Now if i could just put an end to this whole having to work problem! :angry:

Well im gettin better input that i guessed. I understand the ballistic similarities, only think i was considering is the actual delivery of KE, Rather than just the fact of putting the hole where i want it. as we all know it can get windy in that country to so thats another issue. Heck depending on the end of my scouting i may end up takin the bowtech.... depends how confident i am in gettin in on em. Then again with most of that country, even after the shot, visiblilty is pretty good compared to typical elk country for the most part and would probably see the elk go down if it did cover a bit of ground after the shot. Then again i always wanted a nice 300 winny....

RUM, RUM, RUM,RUM!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

man both of them would beat the heck outta me! RUM is nice, dont think i need a 338 cal gun yet though. if i get a new one i think ill look for an older sako 75 in 30-378......OUCH!

man both of them would beat the heck outta me! RUM is nice, dont think i need a 338 cal gun yet though. if i get a new one i think ill look for an older sako 75 in 30-378......OUCH!

Yes--OUCH--I have shot a 30-338 on an '03 Springfield since the mid 60's--AKA 308 Norma Mag using 165 Nosler Partitions with 79 gr H4831. Great results on both deer & elk--oh yeh--a loooong shot at an antelope too !!!!

eh i just called grizzly custom, looks like im gettin my 300 winny. m700 action, 26"fluted med. shillen barrel... muzz break. leupold 4.5-12x40lr. I figure ill just feel better shootin that over worryin with the 270. thanks for the input yall.