coueschaser3

Question for yall.

yeah now the time extensive finding a good load or gettin my buddy whos building the rifle to and shoot shoot shoot. in between scoutin.........and more scoutin. now i gotta fit a 13b rifle pronghorn hunt in for a girls first tag. gonna be a busy year!

eh i just called grizzly custom, looks like im gettin my 300 winny. m700 action, 26"fluted med. shillen barrel... muzz break. leupold 4.5-12x40lr. I figure ill just feel better shootin that over worryin with the 270. thanks for the input yall.

Just a thought "4.5-12x40lr".

Go 50MM. See the Light ;)

I goofed, its not a 4.5-12x40, that dont exist for leupold. its a 4.5-14x40 with the 30mm tube, long range fine duplex. I really just have never been a fan of the fifty got one on my 223wssm. Ill have to try the tsx, definately 180 though, rifling will for close to 180.

oh its gonna be a pack job, i already know that. a fork and some matches will be required. gonna upgrade the badlands too.

i dunno if i can betray badlands, my 2200 has been so good to me. i think i need a 2800 though also. definately for this hunt, i aint goin back to the truck till a bull is down.....or the ending evening. ill check it out though thanks.

is this an april fool's joke or what? you say you're a bowhunter, but a .270 ain't big enough? but a bow is? you don't recommend a .270 but do recommend a .280? they're the same thing. a .270 is .277 diameter, a .280 is .284. you know how little difference that is? basically nothing. and the cases are so near identical it ain't funny. they moved the shoulder a little on the .280 to keep folks from chambering it in a .270. if you try real hard, you might get a little more velocity out of a .280, but that has more to do with the increased bore diameter than it does with case capacity. hittin' em where it hurts is what counts. a gutshot is a gutshot, doesn't matter what you use. if you can't kill an elk with a .270 you need to stay home. don't be bashin' my .270. Lark.

Finally some controversy!

Heck ya can kill an elk with a .22. And ya i do bow hunt, actually primarily, but i dont take 70 yard shots at animals, just the same id rather not shoot a 270 at a bull past 300. sure it can do it i have no doubt. As for the 280 recommendation i was speaking more on lines with a 7mm mag or larger due to energy at prolonged distances. Not the 280 rem or ackley. But then again the 280 would probably do just fine also. I know of people that shoot at bulls with 243's, would i recommend it ...no, nor would i hunt with them. It is simlply an ethics question, taking into consideration the possible range i may need for a shot. being it is a late hunt in that country i unfortunately dont think my time will be best spend on this hunt with my bow. I think the 270 is one of the best rounds in existence, and originally felt fine taking it, but going over the country for that hunt and as said before i would rather be prepared for a long shot and not need it than get one and not be able to take it. and heck i need a 300 anyway! So....would you be perfectly comfortable shooting 300-400 yards with your 270 at a bull elk in less than ideal circumstances?

P.S. A .270 is currently my only larger caliber rifle for a reason, its dern good. And i always need a good excuse for another gun. So i aint "bashin" your 270 ;)

if an animal is too far away for ya, get closer. oughta be easy for a bowhunter. a 300 yard shot ain't anything for any reasonable centerfire. if you hit an elk in the lungs with a .270, no matter the range or the bullet, it's a dead elk. simple fact. he might run off a little ways, but he's still dead. knockdown, trajectory, velocity, retained energy, etc, are nothin' but numbers on paper. and you can't kill anything with numbers on paper. knockdown and energy are mythical BS made to sell guns. they don't mean anything. a bullet of a specific weight going so fast gets a lbs/ft number attached to it and folks think it means something. well, a solid has the same number as a hollowpoint, of the same weight and velocity. but with drastically different effect when they get their. so do jacketed bullets, all copper bullets, partitions, etc. but they all work differently. the only thing to argue is accuracy and a good bullet. the gun don't matter, it's the nut holdin' the trigger. i get so sick and tired of folks arguing that this gun is ok for this and that gun is ok for that, when any of em are better than a bow and thousands of elk a year are killed with a bow. folks act like if a gun doesn't have the right numbers on paper, it isn't "ethical". once again, ethics are opinions, and opinions are like buttholes, everybody has at least one, and all of em but mine stink. i've killed a buncha elk with about anything there is. bow, rifle, muzzleloader, heck even a .30/30. if they had a season where all you could use was a busted whiskey bottle, i could kill one then too. it's the guy, not the gun. Lark.

so what if i decided that im gonna put a .17 caliber hole in a elks chest with a 17rem fireball. By your theory that would work, correct? Bullets and arrows work in different ways, sure a hole in the right spot will kill the size matters and shock is the best thing a bullet has going for it. A bullet does not have 1" cutting blades that will hemorage veins and arteries. I take it you read alot of Capstick. Same theory, probably familiar with karomojo bell too. Countless elephants with 257 and similar solid bullets in the right place....in that case the head. The theory works to a degree and paper does not mean anything but bullets are meant to kill with shock, thats why they many times fall right away. and yes i can get close, i dont feel i need to argue that because i know this and thats all that matters. But if you have ever hunted the verde rim and been in that country it is entirely possible to glass up a toad that may be in the thick stuff tommorrow and you have enough time for a shot not time to quietly drop into a canyon and close the range. Preparation is my arguement. if you wanna put my hunting and technique down go right a head, i could careless. i hunt for me, and have nothing to prove to anyone but me. I will spend months scouting this tag and many days shooting whatever i choose to shoot 270/300/bow. Because of that i probably wont run into needing a long shot but we all know stuff happens. No one hunt hardly goes as planned. I will argue the statement, since you brought up opinions, that any gun is better than a bow. Thats an opionion and yes the shooter is all that matters. I respect your opinion, and have alot of faith in the 270 but every hunt can require a diffferent optimal firearm or method of take.

eh i just called grizzly custom, looks like im gettin my 300 winny. m700 action, 26"fluted med. shillen barrel... muzz break. leupold 4.5-12x40lr. I figure ill just feel better shootin that over worryin with the 270. thanks for the input yall.

Gotta love a guy that has the Beans & Franks to make a judgement call and Act upon it!!!! :D Good luck with that Custom!!!!

May I recomend the Berger 168 gr. VLD???? I do like that bullet for elk!!!

Oh... and good..... luck..... Looks like the Bear is out of hibernation and spittin' .270's......again. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

Thanks, i got some time to figure it all out and i really know ill feel better carring the 300. i dont forsee needing a long shot but if thats what ends up fillin my tag i would like to be ready for it. The gunsmith building my gun is a life long friend and hunting buddy, and i have shot many of what he builds. Its gonna be a heck of a nail driver if his reputation holds, the gun was actually orginaly being built for him. Any one ever lookin for a custom check em out. Grizzly custom outta columbia falls montana, same rifle guys that built at yost-bonitz custom if yall are familiar with the names.