Sign in to follow this  
Ohthatguy

Sow and cub question..

So if someone is in a tree stand, blind or stumbles across a really big bear, what would be considered a reasonable time to watch/wait to make sure there are no cubs in tow? It would suck to have a bear come to water, drink and spend 5 minutes there, take a shot only to have some cubs come strolling in. 

Do the cubs typically stay within XX yards? 

I realize that not shooting sows removes that potential disaster but seeing as how the good units max out the quotas the 1st day, it isn't the norm.

Thx,

I glassed a good sized bear that was in the top of a juniper tree in a thicket last year. I watched it for probably a half hour and almost shot it. Finally saw that it has 2 cubs under tree eating the berries it was shaking out. Definitely changed my perspective. On open ground i’m pretty good at identifying a boar/sow. If i get any clue that it might be a sow, i won’t shoot it. 

I watched a black spot years ago that I thought was a burnt tree (wild fire in the area) I kept going back to it with my binoculars and it looked like it was slowly moving. After glassing back and forth for an hour I realized it was a bear. I watched it for about 20 min and eventually saw the cubs following. I was about 400 yards away. Mama and cubs looked to be 40 yards apart while they ate prickly pears. Had I of realized was a bear and shot it not seeing the cubs....... woulda been sick with guilt and probably illegal. Even though I didn’t see the cubs til later.