Sign in to follow this  
COUESAZ

Bore sighting advice.

I have been a bad boy and not shot my 25-06 yet this year. My coues hunt starts next weekend. I know my scope was messed up so I got a new one. Does anyone have any Ideas on how to bore site with out having the equipment. I would like to shoot it today and get it sighted in. If there is no way to do it I will try taking it to a shop tomarrow and pay them to bore sight it for me. I know my dad used to do it with a tack stuck in the wall and you would look down the bore and center the tack and then line your cross hair to that. I am way to shaky to that.

I have an orange mail box across the street from me that I use, I open my front door and place my rifle in my shooting rest on the floor with the bolt out of it and center the mail box in the bore then adjust the scope accordingly. If I were you I wouldn't take the rifle out hunting without first shooting it after bore sighting, I can usually get it within 2" or so @ 100yds using that method then fine tune it at the range.

AZPACKHORSE said it just like I would have. Please let us know how it went for you.

That is about the same way as my dad did it with the tack in the wall. I will give it a shot and see if I can hold still long enough to do it. I will use my bipod and a chair to rest it on.

I was planning on shooting it to fine tune it. But I wanted to be close enough to not have to put a bunch of rounds through it to tune it in. It is a rem model 700 And Last year it would take a coues at a great distance with no problem. I shot a mule deer three years ago with it at 600 yards.

I moved and the help droped the gun right on the scope. So I was in need of the scope and had forgot until just last weekend when one of my hunters droped his gun in the field.

Thank you for the info guy's.

Edited by ARIZONA GUIDE

I too have had good results by bore sighting with the bolt removed. I would choose an object close to 100 yards away, like a corner of a door or window, to center in the bore. Be careful that you've also centered the muzzle opening within the bore to reduce parallax. When you get to the range, shoot at 25-50 yards at a large piece of butcher paper with an aiming spot , and adjust to zero, before going to 100 yards.

Doug/RedRabbit

also, for those boresighting at close range (say 25 yds), just like sighting a bow adjust opposite that you would if you were firing at 100 yds. i.e. when looking at the mailbox centered in your barrel then look through your scope and if the mailbox is low and left, adjust low and left for zero at close range and then hit the range and you should be 'on the paper @100yds, now yer ready to burn some powder!! good luck

I have always been able to get within a few inches with a bore sight. I suggest a little trick i learned . Get one of those cheap laser pointers Circle K and put it in the magazine. I have even taped it into brass just to make sure it was fit strait.

I have found it saves a lot of time.