Sign in to follow this  
MT_Sourdough

Unit 17a, 17b and 18b archery hunters- Heads Up!

I considered going in through a back way, but then I reconsidered.   I went up into 8, found a certain seep which has been left vacant and unmolested.  Sign of deer and elk coming in, so I set my blind up and that's where I'll be in the A.M.

UPDATE: 8/30/19

Walnut Creek Rd is open or will be open tomorrow. but everything south of Walnut Creek Rd is considered in the fire area and is closed.  That means Camp Wood Rd and every road between Camp Wood Rd and Walnut Creek is currently CLOSED.

Prescott National Forest says they project that Camp Wood Rd will open on Sept 1, but that is highly suspect.

I hope so.  Gonna be elk hunting those units in 2 weeks..

• Like 1

This will be the best thing for the habitat and deer when it is all said and done.  I'm hoping more of 17a burns.

The worst thing that ever happened to 17a is the elk hunts. Before those hunts the unit was a sleeper for deer. After the elk hunts started people found out about the easy deer hunting and slaughtered it during archery season. 

• Like 1

I hunted 17A for many years and always saw some very big bucks. I quit hunting it about 10 years ago. It had turned into a zoo. I went up there about 3 years ago with a friend. We saw 21 bucks in one day but the biggest was a dink 4x4. Still road hunters everywhere.

I have found some studs in some of the most unlikely areas though.

17buck.jpg