Oldgraybeard

Unit 10 youth cow hunt

Hello,

I am new to this forum. Was searching unit 10 youth advice. Came up on the site. Was wondering if anyone out there had any good advice of where to start. I have two kids that drew for cow in unit 10.

I didn’t grow up hunting so we struggle a bit hunting, my son has gotten a deer a couple years ago. My daughter hasn’t gotten anything I would sure like some advice on where to show up and at least see something  It sucks when you go and you don’t see anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have had the same hunt the last two years and drew it again this year. Lots of elk to be seen and pretty much all over the unit is elk country, from the pines in the Williams corner to the rolling juniper hills to the flat plains. The closer you are to Williams the more crowded it will be with other hunters so the further you are from town the better. Since most of the unit is elk country just pick a spot you like start glassing with a decent pair of Binos, ideally on a tripod. That’s what I did 2 years ago and have found a herd that I (think I) can regularly count on. It’s a very enjoyable hunt, especially if the weather is nice and as long as you get out of the truck and do some hiking/glassing you will probably see elk. I’ll be up there in a golden/beige F-150 and glad to give any tips or help if you’re struggling during the hunt. If you have time to scout before the hunt I highly recommend you do that, especially if you will only be hunting opening weekend. It will help you get the lay of the land and find a good spot to camp and hopefully find some elk before the hunt so that you know where to go come opening day. Good luck!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Oldgraybeard said:

I believe the hunt is October 10 through the 20th.

Its the 11th. Hunts pretty much always start on fridays.

Any luck up there? I wasn’t able to make it up this weekend cause of some last minute family stuff so hoping for a chance to steal away sometime this week. Let us know if you guys are/were successful!