OneBreath808

6B Arizona Mule Deer hunt

I recently got my rifle tag for 6B but I have never been up there to hunt. I am stationed on Fort Huachuca about 4-5 hours away. Have any of you hunted this area and can you give me some tips for a successful mule deer hunt in 6B?

Yea I can hunt on base with a bow but I didnt draw a rifle tag for on base. There arent that many muleys on base either. I put in for 6B with a retired guy from my job because he was supposed to take me up there but he didnt draw for 6B so I am stuck now

Are you hellbent on mule deer? 

There's lots of glassing out the West gate with lots of vantage points. Down by the border and North of post in the mustangs and whetstones. If you don't already have 15s and a tripod you are missing out on lots of opportunity.

8 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Are you hellbent on mule deer? 

There's lots of glassing out the West gate with lots of vantage points. Down by the border and North of post in the mustangs and whetstones. If you don't already have 15s and a tripod you are missing out on lots of opportunity.

You bet me to the post. 

There are enough mule mule deer to keep busy on base but who care about them. Your in a really good coues spot. One of the few regrets I have in life is not hunting the base when I stationed there. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, oz31p said:

You bet me to the post. 

There are enough mule mule deer to keep busy on base but who care about them. Your in a really good coues spot. One of the few regrets I have in life is not hunting the base when I stationed there. 

We call it the zoo. Tons of animals and great country. There's even poop and rubs all in between the barracks buildings. 

Saw the biggest goat  I've personally ever seen after coming in the main gate right after the road splits in the little creek that runs right through there. I don't know jack about scoring them but they had to be between 12" to 14" tall.  

I lived on base in the old housing down the the first stuff you come to. I can remember having deer eating the grass in the front and javelina eating the grass in the back at the same time 

11 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

You put in with him? Or you both put in for the same hunt on different applications?

We put in for the same unit because he told me he wanted to take me up there to hunt but he got a tag for Camp Navajo and I did not

1 hour ago, OneBreath808 said:

@CatfishKev you saw a goat? I have yet to see a goat on base. I see pronghorn, deer, coyotes, bobcat, javelina, and turkey

I was referring to pronghorn.  

We do have big mulies down here, just not like up north.  

Even though me and my wife are from, and grew up in PA. I met her when I flew home (from Sierra Vista)  for my grand pops funeral.  When I told her where I lived she told me her mom grew up out here.  I figured she was probably mistaken (you know, cuz she's a chick). And sure enough she put me on the phone with her mom and it was true.  She even had a grandmother that lives here in town. Crazy, what are the chances?

Oddly enough my brothers wife had a grandma buried out here too.