Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

It CAN Happen!

I've been meaning to mention this for a while but kept forgetting.

A while back, I interviewed a couple for an article in Rocky Mt. Game & Fish magazine. They both killed good mule deer on the Kaibab in 2007 while hunting with one of Duwane Adams' guides.

Here's the oddity:

In 2006, they drew tags with six bonus points for the early season on the east side. In 2007, they they drew tags with NO bonus points for the LATE season on the east side. They are AZ residents, however.

Moral:

Don't ever say never. -TONY

Cool!

I have a friend in Cali that drew the late westside hunt a few years ago. He had 2 points. He killed a hog with Mr Adams too.

Cool!

I have a friend in Cali that drew the late westside hunt a few years ago. He had 2 points. He killed a hog with Mr Adams too.

Who dat be?? If it was a true hog, I probably wrote an article on it. -TONY

Cool!

Who dat be?? If it was a true hog, I probably wrote an article on it. -TONY

B. Hill

San Diego

2002, I believe. It was the year of the USO fiasco, but he drew in the original draw, not the "give away" tags they gave out in response to the lawsuit.

193" non-typ

0545111-R1-041-19.jpg

That was Brent Hill, 2004 on the Kaibab. He wrote his own article for MuleyCrazy along with the article I wrote on Dave Nygaards 198" typical. I was on that hunt with Brent and Dave and it was a great year. That is when Dana Yount shot a monster up there as well....................Duwane is the man............Allen Taylor..........

Allen,

I recognized Nygaard's name when I read your message. A search did produce an article I wrote on him, BUT...it was on his Unit 1 bull that he killed with Duwane in 2005. :rolleyes: -TONY

Allen,

I recognized Nygaard's name when I read your message. A search did produce an article I wrote on him, BUT...it was on his Unit 1 bull that he killed with Duwane in 2005. :rolleyes: -TONY

Tony: Do you really keep files of all your articles?

Bill Quimby

That was Brent Hill, 2004 on the Kaibab. He wrote his own article for MuleyCrazy along with the article I wrote on Dave Nygaards 198" typical. I was on that hunt with Brent and Dave and it was a great year. That is when Dana Yount shot a monster up there as well....................Duwane is the man............Allen Taylor..........

The Yount family are some hunting fools! I used to work with his wife, and even she reffered to a 85" buck ( a nice buck in my book) as a dink! His son killed a very nice archery buck a while back!

Tony: Do you really keep files of all your articles?

Bill Quimby

Of course I do. I have them back to the early 1980s in digital form. They are all separated in folders by publication under one main ARTICLES folder in the MY DOCUMENTS one. Then I have that ARTICLES folder backed up daily on two other HDs -- one internal and one external. Same goes for all my digital pix (that's the plural of pic! ;) ).

So if I want to find an article on a particular name, I can readily do a search of the ARTICLES folder. -TONY

I am related to the people you interviewed with the back to back Kiabab tags. They also have both been drawn for desert sheep and have them both full body mounts on a mountain in there house. The mount is awesome. The two deer they killed this year are awesome as well, one being in the 220's. They are going to get a double pedastol mount. The guy's uncle has killed two desert sheep in Arizona. He got drawn one year and then won the raffle tag a few years later. They are a lucky family. It does give hope that it can happen though.

Matt,

The Fergusons are nice folks, and she is very funny. I really enjoyed interviewing them both at the same time by phone.

Oh, and yes, Mrs. Ferguson mentioned the bit about the sheep permits. Naturally, I made my displeasure known. :lol: I did make that a part of the article lead, however. See below.

Frank's "John Wayne'" buck, as scored by Ryan Hatch, grossed 227. -TONY

Frank and Margaret Ferguson married 36 years ago. That’s also when Margaret began hunting. Since that time, the two have spent many days afield together chasing big game animals. They have had many successful outings, but the 2007 Arizona deer season turned into a special one in more ways than one.

In 2006, the Yuma, Ariz. couple drew two of the hard-to-get deer permits for the early hunt on the North Kaibab’s east side. Because they had only six bonus points, they considered themselves lucky. They each killed respectable bucks in the 160-170 point range.

With no bonus points in hand for 2007, Frank chose to test fate. As his first choice, he applied for the even more difficult to draw late east-side season, which offered only 50 permits.

“I applied for the Kaibab again, thinking we could start building up our bonus points anew and maybe draw another permit not too many years down the road. But when the drawing took place, we found out the computer gods had blessed us again. I was so shocked that when I called Margaret to tell her, I could hardly breathe,” Frank said. “I couldn’t believe we drew back to back like that."

Good luck isn’t new to the Ferguson’s, however. While there are hundreds of hunters who have applied for a desert bighorn sheep permit in Arizona for three or four decades without ever drawing, both Frank and Margaret have received sheep permits. And they each killed outstanding rams. ............

That is a great article. I will have to get a copy of it. Hopefully some of there luck will rub off on me.

That is a great article. I will have to get a copy of it. Hopefully some of there luck will rub off on me.

That's exactly what I told them. :lol:

Those few paragraphs are just the lead into a 2,500-word article that will appear in the Oct. issue of RM G&F magazine. -TONY