Schmitty

"Quiet" boot covers

All that I do is go to a local carpet shop and tell them to save some of the scraps from a heavy carpet they normally throw away. Then I get some carpet thread and sew on some straps I buy from walmart. They have some heavy velcro there that works perfect. I used to use buckle type straps, but I banged a buckle on a rock and spooked some deer on a long stalk a few years ago.

I also used to get scraps of carpet pad and glue them into my boot covers, but it wasnt really needed for where I hunt. The carpet was enough. Going without boots is always quieter, but in the lava rock where I hunt it is also stupid (not to mention the amounts of dog tird cactus around). The boot covers muffle the noise of me stepping on rocks and they are silent in sand, and bare feet still make noise when you step on sticks.

The most important thing I have found to quiet my stalks is to find good fitting boots. If they are loose or have too much room around the toes, they will sound hollow, and be loud.

What ever you use make sure they fit nice and tight! I have a general "one size fits all" that use velcro to secure them to your boots. The only problem is that they are gianormous on my size 13 boots. The last time I tried to use them while elk hunting (while calling) I about broke my neck because the ones I have don't let you get a good grip on much of anything. Since they are big, they rotate on the boot. Just what I've found out.

Just trace around your boot and cut. Also leave little flaps where the straps wrap around for extra area to sew. I have been putting 3 straps on each one, the front loops around the toes, middle around the back of the boot and the back around the top of your foot. This way it is secure.

The best thing that I have found for sneaking are a pair water socks that slip onto your feet and then a pair of the heaviest wool or cotton socks you can find over the water socks. The water socks have a thin soft rubber sole (dang near a bare foot) that keep the thorns out. This set up works as good as bare feet and when you blow the stock it doesn't hurt as bad getting back to your boots. ;)

Thats a pretty dang good idea!