Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Sous vide bison back strap?

Never attempted this...

So my older bro and wife are coming next week for one day.  Really want to make a special meal.  I'd like to try to use a section of the back strap and maybe do like a smoked prime rib then try this. Any killer recipes? Can I smoke it long enough to get the smoke flavor without drying it out? Also can I just vac seal it and boil it in a big pressure cooker pot?

Never done anything like this so I dont wanna screw it up.  Help!

Smoke it for about half to one hour with your choice of seasonings and smoke. Then vac seal it and sous vide for a few hours. It’s similar to a reverse sear. If the meat is gray coming out then just sear it. You’ll keep the smoked flavore, perfect done ness of sous vide, and char of a grill/hot cast iron.

• Like 1

I would smoke it for at least an hour ,but low heat.  I did a sous vide ribeye after smoking, best steak I have ever cooked!  Enjoy !

• Like 1

Buy a sous vide cooker, about $120 online.  Don’t play around with “boiling” it, you’ll  over cook it.  I have the Anova, Joule is another

Yeah I'm gonna order one.  Ill probably cold smoke it for awhile with the pellet tube then an hour or two with the smoker turned on. If I smoke it for two hours should I sear it first or is that unnecessary?

Sear it  after sous vide.I used the hot grill  at first but finally bought a cast iron griddle that I put on the grill.  Gives it a much more even sear and presents better if that matters to you.

Ok. Wasnt sure if it should be seated to put it on the smoker or not.  

Might just have to go get me a cast iron griddle.  I pull the trigger on the $99 amazon one and got the 13 quart bin and lid.