SilentButDeadly

Spring Snow Melt and Global Warming

When will the ice break?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. When do you predict that the snow in the Western US will begin to melt?

• Sooner, because of Global Warming
    • Right on time, like its supposed to
    • Later, here comes Global Cooling!

i don't have one thing that i didn't dig right outta the ground with my own 2 hands. did not inherit one thing. everything i own, my home, property, vehicles, livestock, i earned the money, working, to pay for it. if i have a flat tire, i fix it. if my house needs paint, i paint it. change my own oil. if something needs welded, i weld it. if my mule needs shod, i shoe him. if i need food, i get it. i keep chickens, i raise a garden, mow my own grass, trim my own trees. shoot my own meat. if i need something, i get it. i don't for the gov't to get it for me. i'm self sufficient. i get up and go to work every day. even tho i have one disc completely fused with arthiritis and 2 more not far from it. even tho i need to have my right knee and hip replaced. need to have a 1 1/2 inch arthiritis spur removed from my shoulder, when i get a chance to take a couple months off. but i still get up every day. never been on welfare or unemployment. i can make a living, no matter what the conditions, even tho the gov't gets over 40% of my check every year, to feed and clothe and house lazy asses, illegals, convicts, drug addicts, morons, etc, that won't work. and to pay for stupid assed gov't programs like global warming. i don't mind paying some taxes. i like paved roads, electricity, indoor plumbing with flush toilets, a fire dept, some law, etc. but it really grates my guts when some silver spoon born sob like al gore and others tell me that the only way to fix a problem, that they have dreamed up, is for me to give up more money. global warming, the concept that is pitched day in and day out, is something dreamed up by folks with a lotta money to make even more and to heap the payments on the backs o' folks like me that work hard. ethanol, hybrid cars, solar panels, wind generation, are all just different forms of welfare. they are pure bs. the earth is a little warmer than it was. dang little. it continually changes on it's axis, changing the direction the sun hits it. the sun continually warms up and cools down. volcanos, forest fires, storms, earthquakes all alter the surface temprature of the planet. weather continually changes. you can throw all the money you want at it, but there is not one dang thing that money is gonna fix except al gore's bank account. every thing that is on this earth, has always been here. every atom. we don't create anything. it's already here and all we can do is alter it. that's a fact. greenhouse gas is another word for bull$h!t. somebody has figured out a way to make a buncha money off it and they want us to pony it up. best i can tell, about 50% of the US population has drank the koolaid. as soon as 1 more % does, i guess it's about over. there too many credible scientists who don't have anything to gain monetarilly who disagree with all this co2, greenhouse gas bs to convince me that the the rest of em are liars. if you wanna belive anything, go ahead, but don't expect me to get in step with you, just because you say so. i can read and i'm a fairly intelligent guy. i don't hafta taste the crap, like cherbornik, to tell it's crap. Lark.

i get up and go to work every day. even tho i have one disc completely fused with arthiritis and 2 more not far from it. even tho i need to have my right knee and hip replaced. need to have a 1 1/2 inch arthiritis spur removed from my shoulder, when i get a chance to take a couple months off.

Dang Lark you need a complete overhaul. Hopefully your covered on Hillary's health plan.

Bob

I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone blamed the forest fires on Global Warming and not the enviromentalist that stopped the logging, removed cattle and controlled the fires to the point that the under brush is so high that the only way that you can clean it up is to have a fire big enough that we as human can't control it.

Buckhorn

The paper my father is talking about does not 'blame' anything. What he is talking about is the fact that fires are starting sooner in the spring, and burning longer into the fall than they ever have - even in places where we haven't affected the fire regime. Also, forests that historically have not burned in 200-500 years are burning - Canada is set to become a CO2 source instead of sink for the first time because of all the trees it is burning every summer now. http://meteora.ucsd.edu/cap/pdffiles/warmi...ire_science.pdf

This stuff isn't unsupported - there are hundreds (and thousands) of other researchers who have come to the same conclusions - everything from birds migrating and laying eggs at different times, tropical species moving north, plants blooming sooner, etc, etc.

The paper also says that "neither the extent of recent changes nor the degree to which climate may be driving regional changes in wildfire has been systematically documented". I have been fighting wildland fires for about the last decade. In my opinion the increase in fire intensity is largely due to what buckhorn mentioned in his post. Also the increase in urban interface has reduced our firefighters ability to fight fire on safe ground. Firefighters are forced to fight at the head of the fire to protect homes, whereas we used to be able to chose our grounds (safest and easiest line to hold), which results in larger catastrophic fires. Also you have to add human starts into the equation. Historically only lightning started wildfires. So, in a way we are responsible for the increase in fire size and frequency. As for the longer fire seasons, I can only assume that we are in a warming trend. Although I hesitate to believe that we as humans are solely responsible. The earth has been through trends as we are seeing now. I would be willing to bet that we would see the same warming trend without human influence. However, I also believe that we could be more responsible and try not to add to the already warming climate. My opinion is full of assumptions as is probably most scientists opinions. The earths climate will change with time, it always has and always will, regardless of what we as humans do.

here's a couple atricles from today that are intersting.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2...343616-sun.html

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/we...d0-426ce36fe059

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...icle1065876.ece

watch your wallet. al wants it. i wonder tho, who they gonna arrest when the weather won't cooperate?

Lark.

Since this thread has now shifted to Wild Land Fires.... I would like post a small reminder to all my friends and aquaintences here on CW.com.....

My Son is a on the Type 1 Hot Shot Crew out Payson and is out there putting his life on the line when fires break out (they are in Southern AZ on that fire right now). Although he lives for fighting wildland fires, I worry my A$$ off when he is on some of these bad ones. His crew and type 2 teams from all over are going to have a wicked summer, so as a reminder to all:

Please, be carefull with fire, BBQ's, and cigarettes!!!!! Snuff them OUT!!!

:)

Thanks,

CnS

CnS

Gino.... my hat's off to your son for what he does. That is some hot and hard work, that's for sure. Where would we be without the likes of the Hot Shot teams and all the other people who are involved with protecting our land from the lightning strikes and the idiots who can't put out a camp fire but the one that gets me the most is the ones throwing their smokes out the window. :angry: Was this fire he's on caused by border crossers? :angry:

Global Warming.....IMO just another name for what's been going on since the start of time. :lol: :lol: Someone just gave it a stupid name. :P

TJ

The good book says the earth will be cleansed by fire in the last days.........I know where Show Low would be right now if it weren't for some tough fighters who were up here in the Rodeo/Chediski days........

We were practicing summer baseball here in Snowflake, catching full sized burnt leaves as they trickled from the black sky.........traveling miles from here....I can't even imagine how hot that fire was on the front line......

Lark.....you pretty much said it in a nutshell.....well put.....

Lark:

You and I obviously are among those bitter small town folks Obama was talking about. I also don't need or want government "helping" me.

Bill Quimby

Lark,

Your passion for not liking being lied to about global warming matches my passion for not liking being lied to about evolution.

Ain't it just absolutly amazing how people with a certain world view will put a slant, or a spin, or just flat out kram a square peg into a round hole to make it fit what they think is the truth?

Mike

Since this thread has now shifted to Wild Land Fires.... I would like post a small reminder to all my friends and aquaintences here on CW.com.....

My Son is a on the Type 1 Hotshot Crew out Payson and is out there putting his life on the line when fires break out (they are in Southern AZ on that fire right now). Although he lives for fighting wildland fires, I worry my A$$ off when he is on some of these bad ones. His crew and type 2 teams from all over are going to have a wicked summer, so as a reminder to all:

Gino,

He has the bug now; he will never get over it.

Buckhorn

i really don't think "they" think it's the truth, either. they see it as a way to tax us even more so they can fund stupid programs and put folks to work on worthless projects that don't accomplish anything so "they" can keep getting elected. al gore made his movie and everyone fell all over themselves giving him accolades, but his carbon footprint company isn't making any money because folks aren't buying into it, because they don't have to and ain't gonna turn loose of their money that easy, so the next thing is to tax the heck out of everyone, so the gov't will give them the money they want for worthless crap like ethanol, hybrid cars, wind generators, etc. why the heck you think al gore got outta politics? because he found another way to screw folks outta even more money and feed his ego even more than the power of politics. wake up people. a few years ago they held up the tobacco companies for billions and the only folks that made anything from it were the lawyers. people still smoke, they just pay more for cigarettes. tobacco companies are still making money like they have a mint in the basement, cigarettes just cost more. anyone who smokes is foolish, but it is still a legal pastime and a legal agricultural venture. it's just been stygmatized to the point that it's en vogue to bash it. it was just a convenient ruse to make a lotta money. this will be the same thing, a buncha lawyers and other elites will make a bunch off it, but nothing will change until mother nature changes it. next will be transfats or some other obesity scare. fast food is another business that makes a lotta money and they want more of it. nancy pellosi want to put a giant tax on the money i've been squirrelling away a few bucks at time for retirement, now. just because folks have decided to take matters in their own hands and not depend on social security for their retirement and the gov't is running outta ways to grub more bucks offa folks. they've said forever to save for retirement and some of us have and now they realize there is a fat hog to be cut and want to get to slicin' it up. big oil will be next. they'll drive the price even higher by taxing the heck outta them and it'll come back on the consumers to pay it. every tax dime that gets spent in this country, and the world for that matter, is eventually robbed from the pockets of hard working Americans. me an you fund every stupid, worthless program that you see anywhere. from shrimp farms in gila bend to solar power plants in barstow. like i say, i don't mind paying for roads, medical advancement, schools, water systems, electricity, t.v., etc, because i get some benifit from it. i've had over a million bucks taken outta my check in the past 40 years. i'm sick of it. show me where i've benefitted even 25% of that. now they want to tax what i've saved up> i see this global warming BS as just another cashcow that they're fattening up for the slaughter. i hate sayin' i told ya so, but i'm purty shore this is gonna be another one o' them times i get to do it. the weather will change, it always does. no matter what al gore says. Lark.

Got this in an email. Very interesting...

******Social Security change 2008*******

All three candidates voted for it. The United States Senate voted to extend Social Security Benefits to Illegal Aliens beginning in 2008. Now, the following are the senators who voted to give illegal aliens Social Security benefits. They are grouped by home state. If a state is not listed, there was no voting representative.

Alaska: Stevens ® Arizona : McCain ® Arkansas : Lincoln (D) Pryor (D) California : Boxer (D) Feinstein (D) Colorado : Salazar (D)

Connecticut : Dodd (D) Lieberman (D) Delaware : Biden (D) Carper (D) Florida : Martinez ® Hawaii : Akaka (D) Inouye (D) Illinois : Durbin (D) Obama (D)

Indiana : Bayh (D) Lugar ® Iowa : Harkin (D) Kansas : Brownback ® Louisiana : Landrieu (D) Maryland : Mikulski (D) Sarbanes (D)

Massachusetts : Kennedy (D) Kerry (D) Montana : Baucus (D) Nebraska : Hagel ® Nevada : Reid (D) New Jersey : Lautenberg (D) Menendez (D)

New Mexico : Bingaman (D) New York : Clinton (D) Schumer (D) North Dakota : Dorgan (D) Ohio : DeWine ® Voinovich® Oregon : Wyden (D)

Pennsylvania : Specter ® Rhode Island : Chafee ® Reed (D) South Carolina : Graham ® South Dakota : Johnson (D) Vermont : Jeffords (I) Leahy (D)

Washington : Cantwell (D) Murray (D) West Virginia : Rockefeller (D), by Not Voting Wisconsin : Feingold (D) Kohl (D)

(This is worth reading. It is short and to the point.) Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions during election years. Our Senators and Congresswomen do not pay into Social Security and, of course, they do not collect from it.

You see, Social Security benefits were not suitable for persons of their rare elevation in society. They felt they should have a special plan for themselves So, many years ago they voted in their own benefit plan.

In more recent years, no congressperson has felt the need to change it. After all, it is a great plan. For all practical purposes their plan works like this: When they retire, they continue to draw the same pay until they die.

Except it may increase from time to time for cost of living adjustments.. For example, Senator Byrd and Congressman White and their wives may expect to draw $7,800,000.00 (that's Seven Million, Eight-Hundred Thousand Dollars), with their wives drawing $275,000.00 during the last years of their lives.

This is calculated on an average life span for each of those two Dignitaries. Younger Dignitaries who retire at an early age, will receive much more during the rest of their lives.

Their cost for this excellent plan is $0.00. NADA... ZILCH... ZERO!!! This little perk they voted for themselves is free to them. You and I pick up the tab for this plan. The funds for this fine retirement plan come directly from the General Funds; 'OUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK '!

From our own Social Security Plan, which you and I pay (or have paid) into, every payday until we retire (which amount is matched by our employer). We can expect to get an average of $1,000 per month after retirement. Or, in other words, we would have to collect our average of $1,000 monthly benefits for 68 years and one (1) month to equal Senator Bill Bradley's benefits!

Social Security could be very good if only one small change were made. That change would be to: Jerk the Golden Fleece Retirement Plan from under the Senators and Congressmen. Put them into the Social Security plan with the rest of us Then sit back... And see how fast they would fix it.