Sign in to follow this  
Buddro

AZ back country

I prefer to backpack into my hunting spots and being able to get at least a mile or so from roads.  The problem is, I'm not so familiar with Arizona.  Rather than exhausting my self cross referencing wildernesses with units and checking if they are open I figured I would come right out and ask.  Are there any good wilderness areas to look into for otc archery, back country mule or coues deer hunting?

Guest akaspecials
1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Almost any unit with wilderness would be good. In reality if your more than a mile from the truck you’ll be alone. 33, 32, the 24’s, 27,28, etc. all have places to get away.

muledeerarea33 is dead on. Keep in mind that the wilderness areas, as all areas, can be very pockety, especially for coues deer. Once you start seeing deer, really pay attention to what the area looks like. Look for other areas like that and you will find more deer. PM me and I can give you a few specific wilderness names if you're willing to hike. 

That being said, a mile from the road will get you what you want without having to trek into a wilderness. Very few people walk around here, much less go two or three ridges off the road.. 

I'm going backpacking into 33 in a couple of days. Like muledeerarea33 said, you really only have to get a mile or two off the road and you'll generally have the place to yourself. You don't have to really search out wilderness areas. 

Thanks for the input!  I do a good amount of wilderness hunting, I just dont know which wildernesses here in AZ are decent size and have otc tags available.  or what units they are in for that matter, aside from in 27.  I will check out the listed areas.  Thanks again!

On 11/12/2019 at 7:06 PM, Buddro said:

Thanks for the input!  I do a good amount of wilderness hunting, I just dont know which wildernesses here in AZ are decent size and have otc tags available.  or what units they are in for that matter, aside from in 27.  I will check out the listed areas.  Thanks again!

First look to see which units have OTC tags. Then look at a map for Wilderness Areas and then go here and pick a unit, https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/.