ultramag

any one with a 23 tag

Mike

Why do I get the feeling you and I are both going to come home empty handed. What am I saying we are both coming home with monsters.

i am totaly doing something else next year on my putting in,23 will be my first choice and then something else with good draw odds 2nd ,cant handle not going again,and just to tease me seeing those bucks last weekend,do you believe there are probibly guys with that tag that wont go, ill just have to grab my bow and try to see what happens,still not like the rifle season,i like to see bucks and if there not big enough pass on them, thats when you know you got THE TAG ,ANYBODY EVER GET A TOAD FROM 23?i know there are some every year takin

The #9 non-typical was taken in unit 23 by Clay Goldman of Payson. It was harvested in 1993. He's the guy that runs Mogollon Taxidermy in that town. The photo of that deer is in the Arizona record book. This animal scores 148.6" and has at least 10" of antler broken off! If it was all there it could possibly score higher than the controversial King buck.

The photo does not do the antlers justice, because you can't see that most of both main beams past the G2's are palmated as wide as your hand all of the way out to the end. A significant portion of the left main beam is busted off, (with who knows how many points) and a moster G3? on the right side is broken in half.

Clay allowed me to take photos of this skull from all angles. It is simply unbelievable. I don't have his permission to post them. Maybe someday I'll ask. You can see it at his shop in Payson.

A buck of these proportions is freakish for any unit. It certainly does not typify the bucks in unit 23. A stroll through the record book is fascinating. It is really interesting to see the variety of units that the monsters have come from.

Mike

rembrant,have you been to the rock house along the young road between a+cross road and the salt river,there is a picture of a buck in there that is huge,is that the same buck your talking about????,i think i know where it was taken in 23

Ain't never been in there, so's I can't verify that.

Mike

The #3 non-typical was also taken from 23. Maybe that's the photo in Rock House?

Mike

Used to be. Used to be!

They got all shot out, and the lions ate the rest of 'em.

Every once in a while a deer swims across the Salt River from 24A, but they usually get shot just as soon as they shake the water off.

Mike

Three more work days and I am out of here. Mike when do you plan on leaving. I am going up Thursday night. If I get up there any sooner it makes it difficult not to shoot before opening day. I always go up the eve of my hunts so I don't have to be tempted. I will be in the field opening morning. and plan on having my deer Friday night. Maybe Saturday morning.

Well since it looks like there might be some deer in 23. I better start down that way.

I'll fly on Monday, early afternoon.

We are going to try to be in position on Fri morning also :) .

From some of the scouting reports of late it looks like the rut :wub: might be kicken in.

Good luck to all you 23 hunters.

Especially bcoover and rembrant. Be safe and I hope you get the buck of your dreams.

Yep Bcoover, three more work days and a wake up. I'm headin out Thursday and hiking in and setting up a backpack camp. I'll glass that evening. Of course I'll be tempted to shoot that big buck if he shows up the day before, but I'm tempted with a lot of things in my life; don't mean I gotta do 'em! 'Sides that I might see that lion.

Thanks Johnnie for the good words. I hope you and your son do well too!

And I hope you're right about the rut.

I also hope we all get the buck of our dreams.

Mike

Rembrandt,

You may have not seen ALL the BIG bucks, especially since there aint many........but, you certainly may have seen one or two good bucks. Do you play poker? I'll bet you're good at that game too.

Couesi1