Sign in to follow this  

forest fire

well, i see the forest circus decided to light the chitty fire back up, in the wind. and it got away from em and is now classified as a wild fire. talked to my cousin yesterday and it has got over into crabtree. now there's a nice place to fight a fire. oh well, i guess it needs to be burned, but i sure get tired of these jokers torchin' the countryside while hollerin' at anybody else tryin' to cook weenies. Lark.

That's the best thing that can happen to that country. I am glad that they were at least trying instead of sitting back, too scared to put any fire on the ground, for fear that it might get away and someone would get offended that a tree got burned. I am sure that some of the ignition was done under the idea that even if it got away it wasn't going to cause any damage and only do good. I can't wait to see how many deer that area will produce in the future. Now if we could just get other fire managers to take some initiative and get some good habitat work done we will be better off for it.

Packer

a-men packer

I hunted elk, bear and whitetail off my mule a lot in that Chitty Creek, Strayhorse, Crabtree Park, Rose Peak country more than 30 years ago. I'd hate to try to fight a fire on foot in that country. I can't imagine any sane person scheduling a prescribed burn in April, May or June anywhere in Arizona.

Bill Quimby

hence the name, forest circus. if there is a place that needs burned out, it is that country. i just sick of the stinkin' tree pigs lightin' fires when they shouldn't. you can't tell me that the fire being lit a couple days before turkey season was a coincidence. when i lived the springertown, the tree pigs would light there slash piles the day before deer season, every year. no matter what the weather. one year they lit it off by mexican hay lake and it got away from em. her come the bulldozers and fire fighters. put it out and lit it again. got away again. repeat. then they lit it off again. then it really got loose and they tried to block off water canyon and the biglake highway. the first weekend of deer seaon. remember a couple years when they burned up los alamos, new mex? they supposedly have 3 or 4 criteria that have to be met, wind speed, wind direction, humidity, etc., before they light a fire. it didin't meet any of em, but they lit it anyway. killed some folks. burned a buncha houses. no problem, we're the forest circus. what a zoo. Lark.

Lark, it isn't just the forest service's burns that conflict with the hunting seasons in unit one.

My pet peeve is the ATV jamboree held on the weekend the early elk hunt starts. Those overage adolescents run all over the mountain on their @!@#$%#$!& machines, and not just on the trails the USFS created by closing perfectly good roads, and they chase the bulls I've been watching to only God knows where.

I talked with one of the ATV group's organizers in Henry's barber shop in Springerville a couple of years ago and was told they'd been holding their event on that same weekend "for years" and wouldn't even consider switching it to a summer event.

My response was that we'd been hunting elk here a lot longer.

Don't get me started. If I were king I would chop off their heads. :angry:

Bill Quimby

Lark, it isn't just the forest service's burns that conflict with the hunting seasons in unit one.

My pet peeve is the ATV jamboree held on the weekend the early elk hunt starts. Those overage adolescents run all over the mountain on their @!@#$%#$!& machines, and not just on the trails the USFS created by closing perfectly good roads, and they chase the bulls I've been watching to only God knows where.

I talked with one of the ATV group's organizers in Henry's barber shop in Springerville a couple of years ago and was told they'd been holding their event on that same weekend "for years" and wouldn't even consider switching it to a summer event.

My response was that we'd been hunting elk here a lot longer.

Don't get me started. If I were king I would chop off their heads. :angry:

Bill Quimby

YEAH!!! Let me know when you get on the ballot, I'll vote for that.

i know bill, and who gave em the permit? the forest circus. i watched them jokers infiltrate the school board, town councils, even the dang little league, when i lived there, and foul em all with their commie stench. the usfs is just gov't sponsored activism. everyone who works for em is anti hunter, anti cow, anti farm, anti logger, anti fishin', anti camper, anti bath, anti women shavin' their armpits, anti any kinda competition (that's why they really pushed soccer). if it was up to the usfs, the roads would be locked at the pavement and only they could use the woods. joint use to them is to use the woods to smoke a joint. Lark.

i know bill, and who gave em the permit? the forest circus. i watched them jokers infiltrate the school board, town councils, even the dang little league, when i lived there, and foul em all with their commie stench. the usfs is just gov't sponsored activism. everyone who works for em is anti hunter, anti cow, anti farm, anti logger, anti fishin', anti camper, anti bath, anti women shavin' their armpits, anti any kinda competition (that's why they really pushed soccer). if it was up to the usfs, the roads would be locked at the pavement and only they could use the woods. joint use to them is to use the woods to smoke a joint. Lark.

Lark:

I agree that the bureaucrats want to eliminate as many roads on forest service land as they can. Every time we turn around there's a new berm or barrier across roads we've used for 50 years.

The final straw came when they spent a small fortune putting in a paved parking lot and toilets and blocking vehicular access from Squirrel Springs to Benny Creek ... just so a handful of pathwalkers could traipse on what used to be a perfectly good road.

And look at what they've spent on Pole Knoll to entice a few cross-country skiers to play there when there's a good winter.

That expensive bicycle path from Sheep's Crossing to the highway is another waste of our money. Has anyone ever seen someone riding a bike on the damned thing? I haven't.

Bill Quimby

I hunted elk, bear and whitetail off my mule a lot in that Chitty Creek, Strayhorse, Crabtree Park, Rose Peak country more than 30 years ago. I'd hate to try to fight a fire on foot in that country. I can't imagine any sane person scheduling a prescribed burn in April, May or June anywhere in Arizona.

Bill Quimby

I wish they would light more fires during that time of year when it can actually do some good instead of when it is wet and nothing even burns. There is a fine line between burning for show and actually making the environment better by it and I would rather have them do something effectively than just throwing money out and not accomplishing anything. Sure there is risk in this type of behavior but there is risk in not doing it as well as we saw as the result of the Rodeo-Chediski fire. Had someone taken the initiative to burn that country in a somewhat prescribed manner we may not have seen the results we did. Sure the forest service can do alot of things better but then again I am sure that no matter what they do, or don't do, someone will not be happy and will *itch about how they are doing things. I know that people behind keyboards here have some great ideas but there is a huge difference between typing things here and actually implementing things on the ground. (And yes I was serious about having some good ideas)

As for fighting a fire on foot in that country it is definately doable. Have any of you been by there yet to see the result? Sure it was labeled a wildfire but this last weekend I didn't notice hardly any trees torched out and the fire didn't even take out a large majority of the brush. Overall it was an excellent looking burn and did nothing but good.

Oh and by the way the jamboree is during the archery deer and antelope hunt and not during the elk hunt.

Packer

Lark:

I agree that the bureaucrats want to eliminate as many roads on forest service land as they can. Every time we turn around there's a new berm or barrier across roads we've used for 50 years.

The final straw came when they spent a small fortune putting in a paved parking lot and toilets and blocking vehicular access from Squirrel Springs to Benny Creek ... just so a handful of pathwalkers could traipse on what used to be a perfectly good road.

And look at what they've spent on Pole Knoll to entice a few cross-country skiers to play there when there's a good winter.

That expensive bicycle path from Sheep's Crossing to the highway is another waste of our money. Has anyone ever seen someone riding a bike on the damned thing? I haven't.

Bill Quimby

If I were a bear,I would be waiting along that path for an easy meal. :lol:

the rodeo chediski started on the rez and they have their own set o' rules. i was watchin' the news last night and they were talking about how high the fire danger was and how we were all gonna burn up this year. makin' news. anyway, i got to thinkin', heck, they say that every year. at least for the last 40 or so since i been paying attention. every year is a dry year, in the desert.

bill, i really like that scar they ripped open from atcheson res. north to big lake, all the way across the flat country, for a trail, that the last time i looked, still wasn't open. who they heck is gonna walk on a trail across a prarie that you can see every inch of from a paved road? talk about messin' up a pretty patch o' grass. Lark.