Have always had good luck between Bartlett and Horseshoe for big flatheads or channels, or you can catch some smallmouth and largemouth in there as well, but the big cats are worth the trip. Behind horseshoe is sometimes good too. Live carp or bluegill for bait, sometimes worms work for the big ones, chicken liver and shrimp will usually keep the bite going with the smaller ones.

I haven't been up there this year yet, but this is about the time to start, with the huge run-offs check the flow, the slower the better for fishing. Also there will probably be water trapped in little ponds, if you can find those you will have all the baitfish you need with hardly any effort.

Cats are all over the river just below Horseshoe. There are some deeper holes in the area that hold some decent fish. Traditional catfish bait works. I've also pulled some out of the Verde just below Bartlett, but haven't fished that area as much.

I'm curious about the smallmouth as well. I remember catching lots of smallies at Horseshoe when I was younger and the lake had water. Now that it has filled again, you'd have to think some smallies have returned. I'd like to give it a try, but not sure if I could launch my boat. I love fishing for smallmouth. My grandparents lived on a lake in Minnesota that was loaded with smallies, too bad the closest smallies to the valley are at least a few hours away. Unless the rumors I am hearing out of Lake Pleasant are true. :ph34r:

Cats are all over the river just below Horseshoe. There are some deeper holes in the area that hold some decent fish. Traditional catfish bait works. I've also pulled some out of the Verde just below Bartlett, but haven't fished that area as much.

I'm curious about the smallmouth as well. I remember catching lots of smallies at Horseshoe when I was younger and the lake had water. Now that it has filled again, you'd have to think some smallies have returned. I'd like to give it a try, but not sure if I could launch my boat. I love fishing for smallmouth. My grandparents lived on a lake in Minnesota that was loaded with smallies, too bad the closest smallies to the valley are at least a few hours away. Unless the rumors I am hearing out of Lake Pleasant are true. :ph34r:

I would say yes to your Pleasant scenario.

It would be awesome if those smallies take hold and thrive in Pleasant. I just hope they came in through the CAP and not through illegal stocking. Had a great time catching them at Horseshoe way back in the day, even got a couple at Bartlett, but haven't heard of anyone catching any there in a long time. Hopefuly with all the run-off those 2 lakes got a few more washed through there and they take hold as well.

Saw this topic and dug out some old pics! Back when we were young and dumb we would drag our fancy bass boats in towards Horseshoe. There would always be something falling off the trailer by the time we got there! Could only use the trolling motor but that was all we had that would float and the big cats were too far from shore! You would have to hit it just right and the water flow and level had to be just right and it could be the funnest day fishing ever! I remember having to use the trolling motor to help muscle in a fish! Also nothing like seeing the big air bubble rise up out of the deep just before getting your first look at the beast on the end of your line!!! Fricken scary stuff!!! JIM>

Horseshoecats.jpg

Horseshoecats1.jpg

I put this one on here before, but my cousin caught it between bartlett and horseshoe.

post-53-1209605459_thumb.jpg

Here is a smallmouth caught somewhere closer

post-53-1209604864.jpg

That is one UGLY catfish! I have NO desire to catch one of them dang things! heck, its almost as ugly as Coues 'n' Sheep, and just as ugly as COOSEFAN!!!

That is one UGLY catfish! I have NO desire to catch one of them dang things! heck, its almost as ugly as Coues 'n' Sheep, and just as ugly as COOSEFAN!!!

That's funny.....the SINGLE guy callin' the MARRIED guys ugly?

You know what single means?

And im 10 years younger than you old foggies.

That you have one arm that is way stronger than the other??? :o :huh: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: You might be single cuz your the male version of what we refer to as Coyote Ugly.... or Beer Goggles Gorgeous.... or, that's the last time I'm drinkin' that much before I have a hottie hooked to my arm! :blink: ....Those things could keep keep a guy single, too..... Young'un!!!! ;) :lol: :lol: :P

Oh Yeah.... and Obviously 10 years less Wisdom.... ;) :rolleyes: :P

Call me Ugly..... <_< .... Jeeeessh.... Your so Fugly your Papa had to tie some Bluegill to your belt, just so that the neighborhood Kitty, Kitty Cats would follow you arround...... :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Dirk D. :ph34r:

:P

AWESOME Cats, Ya'll!!!! I'm dyin' to go cat fishin' now!!! I might be lookin' for a catfishin' partner if my Wife will let me take her boat one the days..... :rolleyes: :lol:

I put this one on here before, but my cousin caught it between bartlett and horseshoe.

post-53-1209605459_thumb.jpg

Here is a smallmouth caught somewhere closer

post-53-1209604864.jpg

That is a HUGE flathead, you could feed a small army with that. I think fresh flathead cooked up the day it is brought home is some of the best eating there is. There's no way I would buy it from the store though.

That is Huge... :blink: Have any of you ever had any Cat fish that big that was good eating??? We have hated every big cat we have eaten.... and now I won't keep one for eating that is over about 8lbs. Anyone else feel that way??

You know what single means?

And im 10 years younger than you old foggies.

That you have one arm that is way stronger than the other??? :o :huh: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol: You might be single cuz your the male version of what we refer to as Coyote Ugly.... or Beer Goggles Gorgeous.... or, that's the last time I'm drinkin' that much before I have a hottie hooked to my arm! :blink: ....Those things could keep keep a guy single, too..... Young'un!!!! ;) :lol: :lol: :P

Call me Ugly..... <_< .... Jeeeessh.... Your so Fugly your Papa had to tie some Bluegill to your belt, just so that the neighborhood Kitty, Kitty Cats would follow you arround...... :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Dirk D. :ph34r:

:P

Atleast I know proper English. :D

And yeah, when I throw up 350 lbs on bench press, one arm does seem to go up easier than the other. ;)