Sign in to follow this  
ichiban43

Fire in 9

It is supposed to be windy there today and tonight 20-35mph with gusts over 40, out of the WSW. Not good. Right now in Flag at 9:40AM, it's 32-40mph.

Some of the thicker PJ stuff in the lower part of unit 9 could use a controlled burn, imo, but not in these windy conditions.

All needs a little fire, but the GC Park don't want it! Looks like its caught...maybe a fire use on the next one!

the fire was about 2 miles from my house and the entire day today there was very little if any smoke. i talked to the helicopter crews from news channel 3, 5, and 12 this afternoon at the grand canyon airport and all 3 crews said the exact same, very few flames and some white smoke. they also said that the fire crews have a fire line dug around the entire fire. the 688 and the 302 roads are closed.

azsagebrus

I guess that they arrested and charged 3 guys from Texas. Unattended campfire was the cause. On the bright side, the report in the AZ rag is that the fire was beneficial to forest health.

All needs a little fire, but the GC Park don't want it! Looks like its caught...maybe a fire use on the next one!

Flash, you might want to get your facts straight before you start spouting off. GC has the most active fire use program in AZ. They also have one of the most active prescribed fire programs. There's a reason the Kaibab on the north rim has combined fire management with the park. Any fire that close to developed areas is not a great candidate for fire use, especially with the forecasted wind they recieved.

I agree there needs to be more fire on the ground, but most fires in PJ just end up turning into a giant cheat grass patch that makes terrible wildlife habitat. Look at most of northern Nevada and around Caliente, it's hurt the deer, quail and most everything else.

Flash, you might want to get your facts straight before you start spouting off. GC has the most active fire use program in AZ. They also have one of the most active prescribed fire programs. There's a reason the Kaibab on the north rim has combined fire management with the park. Any fire that close to developed areas is not a great candidate for fire use, especially with the forecasted wind they recieved.

I agree there needs to be more fire on the ground, but most fires in PJ just end up turning into a giant cheat grass patch that makes terrible wildlife habitat. Look at most of northern Nevada and around Caliente, it's hurt the deer, quail and most everything else.

GC park don't want it. The biggest reason is smoke in the canyon that fogs up the tourists view of the GC. Alot of pissed off tourist from around the world if they cant see. I dont know where the fire was but I agree that anything close to developed areas is not a good candidate for fire use.

Also, PJ needs fire to help decrease the stand densities so that a fire can not travel through the canopy. Perennial grasses recover quickly from low intensity fires which decreases the chance of cheat grass taking over. GC does have a very active fire use and prescribed fire program, and they are very good at it.

I haven't spent much time up in that area but is there realy cheat grass up there? Its the sagebrush-grasslands that has problems with cheat grass. and regardless of a fire or not cheat grass will take over an area. Sure a fire might help it along but it takes over no matter what.

The problem I've herd with PJ is that the junipers have taken over. To many trees means not enough forbs and grasses.

In 9 there is a open area/grassland reclamation project--or something like that. They are knocking down mostly juniper that is encroaching into the open areas. Free firewood too I might add. Good project IMHO.-- BOB