Sign in to follow this  
scoutm

Scouting Trip - Bucks still sporting on top and

Sun Devil and I went out last weekend looking for deer and had a great time. In two days we saw close to 100 deer and to our surprise several were still wearing their head gear. We saw 2 - 2x2 with eye guards, 2 forked horns and 3 different spikes. We couldn’t believe they were still packing.

Early Saturday morning, we had a chance to so some deer conservation work….Chris did me the courtesy of finding a pair of lions. Since I was the only one with a tag and therefore a gun I was up for some shooting.

The rifle I had with me was new to the field as it had only been shot at the range to get her sited in. It’s topped a conquest scope with target turrets. Having missed an opportunity at a big buck last January, I wasn’t going to miss this chance. I adjusted the turrets to the specified range and had Chris setup to spot for me – I shot high. The Cats took cover under a thick tree. Chris kept watch on them and I took off down the canyon to get across from them. I was able to get positioned 240 yards across canyon from them and took her out. She’s younger than I thought but it took 16 years of carrying a tag to get this chance so I’m pleased and the deer herd said thank you as we packed her out. Not to mention what a great way to break-in a new rifle.

I had her inspected by Game and Fish Today and they aged her at about a year and a half. I would have liked my first to have been bigger but grateful none the less.

post-1361-1209775878.jpg

post-1361-1209776654.jpg

post-1361-1209776676.jpg

Congrats on an awesome animal.

There is a big mountain lion problem in AZ not all over the state but in many areas.A few yaers ago down in 32 we saw a mountain lion running away.The next at my ggrandpas feed store in safford there was two hunters with mountain lions.I personally think the mountain lions are the main problem for the decline in deer population besides the drought.Also what unit did you shoot her in?

Nice story and pics.

congrats on the lion also.

I also saw a nice little 3X3 still packing Tuesday on the way to work.

Awesome! Whack those cats! Too bad you both didn't have a tag.Congrats!

Lance