Big Browns

Colorado Mule Deer options

I’ve done otc for elk in the area around 68/681 near storm king mountain. I didn’t see many elk and had one opportunity at a spindly rag horn but blew it. A lot of area in SW Colorado has gone to draw but 71/711 near Dolores had numerous leftovers this year that you might be able to pick up. 

Im not aware of any otc deer tags in Colorado anymore. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Has anyone gone otc in Colorado for deer or elk?

Yes, there are typically only otc for elk. Didn't dive deep in the regs this year so if there is otc for deer id imagine they are for whitetail or private land. I've done the early archery otc as well as otc rifle hunts. The archery otc hunts are very different than here in AZ unless you have access to private land. Fewer bugles, more remote terrain, and a ton more hunters. If you are willing to hike, you can backpack into some remote areas and find pockets of elk up in the alpine country. I went to college in CO and hunted the otc every year. Pulled one bull and a few bucks during the archery season. 

The otc rifle seasons definitely offer more opportunity in my opinion. Usually by third season the elk are moving out of the high country and you can find a lot of decent bulls in the transition zones. With season dates being later this year I could only imagine a better hunt unless there is abnormally hot weather keeping them up high. I hunt 3rd season for deer every year and we always run into hundreds of elk on that hunt. 

• Thanks 1