Snapshot

Spot Satellite Messenger

I was planning on purchasing a Spot satellite messenger, a unit that will send messages and emergency signals via satellite.

Has anyone purchased one of these and tried the messenger check in or progress tracking functions?

The unit is only $150.00 and $100.00 a year for satellite subscription, well worth the price, as I hunt alone in remote and rugged areas ( ain't getting any younger) and was curious if anyone had first hand experience with these type of units. Thanks!

I bought one about a month ago and it is pretty neat.... it is alittle slow but I guess that is okay.

It does have a hard time getting reception sometimes so that is a little scary.

I do wish that it was easier to understand when a message was sent because there are times that I am not real sure if everything went thru.

I haven't tried it in the tracking mode yet...

the email it send you looks like this..

Life is Good.

ESN:0-7379501

Latitude:32.2695

Longitude:-106.9217

Nearest Location:not known

Distance:not known

Time:05/02/2008 07:46:16 (GMT)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...p;z=12&om=1

the Life is Good is something you can change...

I am not sure if the link shows up but it links directly to google earth... that is pretty neat....

If you have any questions.. I will be blogging on it on my other site later in the month...

Jason

Thanks for the input ! I will find as many reviews as I can, as my main concern is its ability to transmit in deeper canyons, which can be tough even for GPS sometimes. It will be good for me to have and it will make my wife happy knowing that I have the ability to press a button for help or send an o.k message.

I need to slow down and spend more time glassing instead of charging up and over as many mountains as I can ;) but just in case this unit or a locator beacon would be nice.

Thanks for the input ! I will find as many reviews as I can, as my main concern is its ability to transmit in deeper canyons, which can be tough even for GPS sometimes. It will be good for me to have and it will make my wife happy knowing that I have the ability to press a button for help or send an o.k message.

I need to slow down and spend more time glassing instead of charging up and over as many mountains as I can ;) but just in case this unit or a locator beacon would be nice.

If you have a loved one that worries about you or you hunt alone I would definately pick one up.... If you don't like it I am sure you can sell it pretty easily...

j--

We used one on a remote pack in hunt recently. Our wives said that thing is worth the cost to give them some peace of mind we were ok on the 6 day remote trip.

My wife has told me I better have one in hand before hunting season starts this fall.

My GPS does more for tracking where I've been on a trip but the ability to inform others of one your where a bouts and two send help is helpful. It worked anywhere my Garmin eTrex Legend worked I'll say that.

It does take a while to sync up and report to you the message has been sent but worked in some decent canyons we were in.

It's on my list for the fall hunts gear purchases.

cmc

here are some links to some reviews:

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/01/spot_sa...erso.php?page=4

http://www.rei.com/product/766529?cm_mmc=p...CFQqLggodSj2kCQ

I like the idea of the unit, but have decided not to get one based on reviews I have read. I think there is lots of room for improvement and I suspect they will within a year or two put out a much improved unit. So it might be worth waiting. If you want some safety, there are items called personal locator beacons that cost more upfront, but they have a longer battery life, have no annual costs and apparently work on a more reliable rescue network (based on some reviews I read). Just search google for Personal locator beacon and you can read up on them.

Lots of people have had issues with the SPOT units not getting good reception and many people have complained about the unit not giving you anyway to know if the message you sent actually made it through. And people have complained that you can't receive any messages which would be nice. Imagine if you wanted to email your hunting buddy a place to meet and then you could get a confirmation from him that he would be there at whatever time. That would be nice. But there is no LCD panel to diplay any information like confirming your message was sent or reading a received message.

Amanda

Thanks for all the advice and links. I read all the link info, and everything I read so far is that the downside is unreliable gps coverage and lack of confirmation of signals sent and received by those it is being sent to. I am going to do some more research on the Personal Locator Beacons as well.

I like the price and simplicity of the spot, but price is not as much of a concern as reliability. Some of the steep canyons I hunt will not pickup GPS unless you have at least 2-3 satlellites overhead, and that is random at best, but that is a limting factor with any satellite coverage. Maybe a satellite phone might be the way to go? If you are wounded and can at least talk, but if you break a neck or are unconsious then I guess it wouldn't matter anyway.

I am looking at the Bushnell Onix 400 as well for the GPS end of things, my old Garmin is 13 years old and not that great.

Thanks for all the advice and links. I read all the link info, and everything I read so far is that the downside is unreliable gps coverage and lack of confirmation of signals sent and received by those it is being sent to. I am going to do some more research on the Personal Locator Beacons as well.

I like the price and simplicity of the spot, but price is not as much of a concern as reliability. Some of the steep canyons I hunt will not pickup GPS unless you have at least 2-3 satlellites overhead, and that is random at best, but that is a limting factor with any satellite coverage. Maybe a satellite phone might be the way to go? If you are wounded and can at least talk, but if you break a neck or are unconsious then I guess it wouldn't matter anyway.

I am looking at the Bushnell Onix 400 as well for the GPS end of things, my old Garmin is 13 years old and not that great.

Those Onix GPS are nice BUT make sure that it is compatible with your current Topo Software... When they first came out you needed to use there topo software... I couldn't connect to it with my Delorme or NG software...

J

Some of the reviews I read, mentioned that topo software situation as well,along with problems with the XM weather channels?. I am doing a little looking at the Garmin Colorado and Rhino 530cx as well.

i got the messenger in march and used a few times , no problems the only thing that you have to do is

turn it on and wait 15 minutes then send the signal you want to send, i try a few times from my house

before i went anywhere, i do that with all the gear before i go someplace, is better safe then sorry.

for now i'm very happy.

Acharenio

How big a problem is the 911 button getting accidently pushed without your knowledge and having the cavalry fly in when you are setting up for the shot of a lifetime?

There would be some unhappy people all around.