Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Sea of Cortez fish for poor man's lobster

Which ones would be the best? Wife made some tonight with cod but curious which fish would work best from south of the border. Heard triggers are sweet similar to crab but wonder about the yellowtail and grouper etc. Performed in this manner.

• Like 1

trigger is just fab!

yellowtail are a jack and the meat is darker and fattier but still excellent.  great sashimi(hamachi).

baya and pinto are like atlantic cod only better.

the rock bass(spotted sand bass) are great in bigger sizes but     why?-same habitat as triggers.

sardinero(leopard grouper) are just fun as heck on bass tackle with fish up to 15lbs or so.  let 'em go!  so much fun and how 'bout those teeth?  swim free fishy come back to play again lol.

sierra macs are just for ceviche they don't last.

i am not a big fan of corvina but there are some white sea bass down to lobos or so.

lee

ps if some mex fishermen are headed your way they generally are not pirates.  they just want to trade you some lobster and scallops for ice.

I did a little snorkeling and spearfishing with a Hawaiian sling right off the rocks on Rocky Point. It took all day and a horrible sunburn but I ended up with a bunch of triggers. They turned out to be some of the best fish I'd ever had. We caught a few on light tackle in the surf but it's pretty hard rod and reel until you get out there with your mask and learn how they move. Once you do, squid on a weighted bobber as the water is pulling out, you can get good at hooking them. Just use a small circle hook.