Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkruiz69

Good Remington 1100 gunsmith?

Recommended Posts

On 9/4/2020 at 9:05 PM, AverageJoe said:

I had a similar problem and brought it to the gunsmith at rio salado gun range (Accuracy Speaks was the name but the gunsmith that worked on it has since passed away). He ended up drilling an extra gas port for me and said early model 1100’s had a problem cycling because the gas port was drilled too small. Whatever the reason was, it has worked perfectly fine since drilling the second gas port. 

Also when you clean it, hit that gas port on the barrel with a pipe cleaner. Physically cleaning it out. My 1100 did the same thing until I started paying close attention to that. Shooting high base loads helps too.

I was told the newer ones have two gas ports like Joe said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe, would you mind posting a pic of the two gas ports next time you get the 1100 out?

I’m curious about the size and location relative to the original gas port in the new hole he drilled.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2020 at 10:26 PM, HorseHunter said:

Also when you clean it, hit that gas port on the barrel with a pipe cleaner. Physically cleaning it out. My 1100 did the same thing until I started paying close attention to that. Shooting high base loads helps too.

I was told the newer ones have two gas ports like Joe said. 

I have cleaned the ports and used high brass expensive shells still the Same ring literally it won’t even make it thru a full box without jamming  several times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 8:52 PM, Delw said:

next time you take the trigger assembly out and the bolt out. look at the shell catch(for lack of better term and see if its broken.

its about 4 inches long on the right side of the reciever down low, see if broke or loose.

basically its spring metal that is staked in, in 4 spots. if its broke or loose that may cause a jam.

I havent had any of mine part in forever so I might be forgetting sme things. I'll see if I can find a print online somehwere.

generally the only thing that causes jams on a 1100 is the gas rings.  but broken parts do as well but its rare.

Mine started jamming and turned out is was what the spring broke next to where it was staked as Delw describes. 
I bought a new spring, replaced the old one and good as new

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine would jam after you shot the first chambered round.  The magazine would start to feed the next shell but it would hang the shell rim on the carrier release button.  The carrier release button was not on a perfect plane with the lifter, take your finger and feel on the side of the lifter where the shell is supposed to ride until it hits the carrier paw at the back of the lifter.  It could be sticking up enough to hit the shell rim and slow the shell down so it won’t hit the carrier paw to release the bolt and send the next shell in the chamber. If it’s sticking up a little, file it down until it’s nice, flat plane  so the shell will glide past it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wellhead said:

Mine started jamming and turned out is was what the spring broke next to where it was staked as Delw describes. 
I bought a new spring, replaced the old one and good as new

Can you send me a pic of what string your talking about please 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NMBPMAN said:

Mine would jam after you shot the first chambered round.  The magazine would start to feed the next shell but it would hang the shell rim on the carrier release button.  The carrier release button was not on a perfect plane with the lifter, take your finger and feel on the side of the lifter where the shell is supposed to ride until it hits the carrier paw at the back of the lifter.  It could be sticking up enough to hit the shell rim and slow the shell down so it won’t hit the carrier paw to release the bolt and send the next shell in the chamber. If it’s sticking up a little, file it down until it’s nice, flat plane  so the shell will glide past it.  

Mine jams like this A LOT, shoot the first shell chamber stays open and won’t ever let the next she’ll out of the magazine 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawkruiz69 said:

Mine jams like this A LOT, shoot the first shell chamber stays open and won’t ever let the next she’ll out of the magazine 

When I shot 3-gun I actually replaced the 1100 lifter with an 870 lifter.  It never jams and it will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger.  It gets rid of a few steps  in the cycling process, but you lose the ability to lock the bolt back and it doesn’t lock back on an empty chamber.  So for a self defense gun I don’t recommend it but on a competition gun or a hunting shotgun I think you can learn to manage your reloads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the spring that has been the issue for me 2x is part #1026. it’s circled in red on Delw parts diagram. It’s located on the right side of the receiver. I’m my first pic, it’s staled in 2 places beginning in front of the large pin that holds the trigger assembly in. The smaller pin for the trigger assembly passes thru the spring in front of the 2nd stake point. The spring is 5.5” long and curves at the end nearest the front of the gun.  You can see this curved tip in my 2nd photo. It’s close to the orange plug.  
You will need to inspect your spring closely to see if it’s broken. If so pry the damaged one out. 
Hope this makes some sense. The next 3 photos are the tool required to stake the spring in place. 
it’s an easy fix if this is your issue.

F3E3E5F0-D1E2-462A-9988-F71786A57209.jpeg

FD519A3F-52E8-43EE-9995-EC2BE40859FE.jpeg

4078A650-6095-43AD-A85B-2599B78EF9F4.jpeg

74492FD4-12A3-4709-9161-14E278C44510.jpeg

A8FC910B-5DFB-406D-BAAE-43A2B263E0C8.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2020 at 6:52 PM, wellhead said:

So the spring that has been the issue for me 2x is part #1026. it’s circled in red on Delw parts diagram. It’s located on the right side of the receiver. I’m my first pic, it’s staled in 2 places beginning in front of the large pin that holds the trigger assembly in. The smaller pin for the trigger assembly passes thru the spring in front of the 2nd stake point. The spring is 5.5” long and curves at the end nearest the front of the gun.  You can see this curved tip in my 2nd photo. It’s close to the orange plug.  
You will need to inspect your spring closely to see if it’s broken. If so pry the damaged one out. 
Hope this makes some sense. The next 3 photos are the tool required to stake the spring in place. 
it’s an easy fix if this is your issue.

F3E3E5F0-D1E2-462A-9988-F71786A57209.jpeg

FD519A3F-52E8-43EE-9995-EC2BE40859FE.jpeg

4078A650-6095-43AD-A85B-2599B78EF9F4.jpeg

74492FD4-12A3-4709-9161-14E278C44510.jpeg

A8FC910B-5DFB-406D-BAAE-43A2B263E0C8.jpeg

good pics wellhead and tool info.

Also as for the tool thats the only way to go DONT "THINK" you can center punch it instead of staking it. Cause you CANT and will screw it up, get the tool

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×