Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Show Low Muzzy: Its the don't let Danny shoot a small bull thread

Long long hunt. Horrible rut, little water, and lots of almost opportunities. Can’t think of what I coulda done different as of now but I’m sure I’ll come up with some stuff. One missed shot and several 300+ bulls seen but it didn’t work out. Thanks to the guys that offered help with spots and pack out help as well. This was a very expensive week of hiking in the woods lol.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I was honestly expecting a lot more from this hunt. I went into it almost cocky. By the third day I was hunting meat instead of horns, very humbling experience.

i heard more bugling the last weekend in August than I did Friday to Sunday of the muzzy. 

• Like 2

Just now, trphyhntr said:

i heard more bugling the last weekend in August than I did Friday to Sunday of the muzzy. 

That’s for sure!! I know the area so I didn’t scout early. I spent a few days in August, the first weekends in September, and 3 days before the hunt started scouting. All that time was better than 5 of the 7 days of the hunt. It was weird AF! One day I’d think the rut is going! The next day I’d think I missed it, next day it was heavy pre rut action. Nothing predictable and nothing to learn from day to day. When I thought I had this big old dude figured out him and his cows popped out on the wrong side! Cows got mad, he got pissed and that was that. 

7 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

That’s for sure!! I know the area so I didn’t scout early. I spent a few days in August, the first weekends in September, and 3 days before the hunt started scouting. All that time was better than 5 of the 7 days of the hunt. It was weird AF! One day I’d think the rut is going! The next day I’d think I missed it, next day it was heavy pre rut action. Nothing predictable and nothing to learn from day to day. When I thought I had this big old dude figured out him and his cows popped out on the wrong side! Cows got mad, he got pissed and that was that. 

Maybe you should have scouted?  

edit: nvm I see you did scout some 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Maybe you should have scouted?  

edit: nvm I see you did scout some 

When I say that I meant road scouting. Been in some areas I spend a few weekends just seeing where the roads go before I actually hunt but I know most of the roads in this unit. Oh, and I’ll road hunt the sh!t out of the mid day! I walked many miles in the 7 days. Btw, it’s easier to get in front of the heard and not chase after them! Haha I had a few 5 mile bugle filled hikes where I bailed out with a gun and a knife, no water or anything. Rookie move on my part.

Trphyhunter, Glad to seethe guy from N. Dakota we were helping some scored. They put in the time they had. Happy for them. Sorry I couldn't stay past Monday. Leaving in the AM. for My month long trip across the Country with Girlfriend.  Gonna be fun . I will have to post a thread with pics every couple days.  Going to some Historic places...................BOB!

• Like 1