Linz

2021 Javelina Newbie (looking at units 20C, 22, 23, 36)

I went on a Javelina hunt last year with some friends (I did not have a tag, just along for the ride), and it was an absolute HOOT! I'm coming from out of state and will likely not have any time to scout the unit I get drawn for.  This is a bit premature, as the draw has not yet taken place, but I'm putting in for units, 20C, 22, 23, 36A, 36B.  I'd appreciate any information on good access points, general hunt areas (you can PM me) if you are familiar with any of these units. Also, if you would recommend one of these units over the others.

I have a basic understanding of finding sign and how to glass for these little guys.  Just looking for a good starting point.  

i'll let you in on a little secret...the most fun you can have with those nasty 'lil critters is to...............call 'em in!  you will not have lived until you get a dozen little black monsters racing at you clicking those tusks and barking like hellhounds.  called them in many times in the 36s' with my Circe predator call w jackrabbit reed.

luck,

lee 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

i'll let you in on a little secret...the most fun you can have with those nasty 'lil critters is to...............call 'em in!  you will not have lived until you get a dozen little black monsters racing at you clicking those tusks and barking like heck hounds.  called them in many times in the 36s' with my Circe jackrabbit call.

luck,

lee 

Agree 100% and can spook them and call them back in multiple times. If you’re putting in for archery, the 36s are usually an easy draw and The season overlaps with OTC archery deer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PRDATR said:

This will give you some general areas for each unit. If you don't have OnX it is a great tool along with Google Earth.

Awesome, thank you in advance!  I do have On-X and use it extensively with google earth.  Agreed these are great tools! 

2 hours ago, biglakejake said:

i'll let you in on a little secret...the most fun you can have with those nasty 'lil critters is to...............call 'em in!  you will not have lived until you get a dozen little black monsters racing at you clicking those tusks and barking like hellhounds.  called them in many times in the 36s' with my Circe jackrabbit call.

luck,

lee 

Uh, this sounds like so much fun! Thanks for the tip ;)

Anyone hunt unit 20 a, b or c?  I was leaning toward units 34 and 36, but Unit 20 would knock off a few hours from my drive, lol.