Just now, bowhunter-tw said:

Thanks for the tips, I will report back once I have made it down that way. Thinking two weeks from now

Even if you don't get into Mearns, you might find some gambels and scalies. The latter are about like gambels. 

I’ve seen a lot of Scaled up in north eastern AZ this year.  I remember in the 80s seeing a lot and they disappeared from about 1999 til about a few years ago.  Outdoor Writer, have you ever hunted them around Holbrook, St Johns, or Springerville?  

6 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

I’ve seen a lot of Scaled up in north eastern AZ this year.  I remember in the 80s seeing a lot and they disappeared from about 1999 til about a few years ago.  Outdoor Writer, have you ever hunted them around Holbrook, St Johns, or Springerville?  

Mearns do make calls. Like a scream is almost how I can describe it. Pretty hard without a dog unless you get very lucky. A couple years ago we got back to the truck after a good little hunt and we were watering dogs maybe 10 yards from the truck. Sat there BSing and my dog went on point 5 feet from us. Kept telling her to leave it and load up but she wouldn’t. I went over to grab her collar and a covey flushed out. Couldn’t believe it but that’s your example for mearns quail. 

36 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

No, never hunted anything in that area of the state.  Only fished Becker Lake near Springerville, and that was a LOT of years ago.   🤣

On 11/22/2020 at 12:31 PM, azbirdhunter88 said:

Those of you that have been down south hunting deer have you been seeing mearns? It’s gonna be a tough year I believe but wanted to ask. 

Scouted a couple days last week. Only found old scrapes and lots of coues deer. About 50 deer in two days, but not a single buck! I found a canyon with water on a north slope and was hoping it was going to be a goldmine, but rain must of been too little to late 😩 The deer were loving that canyon though!