Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

Snow chains for 35" tires

What are the best chains to use for 35 inch tires?  I have seen diamond patterns, ladders, twisted etc...

https://www.tirechain.com/Truck-Tire-Chains.HTM

https://konigchain.com/chains/professional2018.html

I have used heavy ladder style chains and they work amazing for traction. Make sure you use double of the rubber tensioner bands to help keep them tight, and adjust them after you drive a little bit. 

The best way I found to put them on was by using a floor jack to lift the tire and just wrap the chains around. To heck with trying to drive onto them. 

During my 20 years in Idaho, I’ve had good luck with the twisted chain with cam locks as memory serves, I seem to prefer to install in the dark, on a steep grade with a partially frozen, muddy road after I’ve slid sideways for 100 feet or more, and let’s not forget a 30 mile per hour wind. Without a flashlight of course. 😂
Now I keep a new tarp in my ride so I don’t have to hose off my Carhartt after and if I think I will need them I chain up on level ground before it gets too western.

Don't forget chains for your trailer. They can help you avoid jackknifing when crawling down a steep grade (on your brake axle of course).

Good luck on your purchase.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HorseHunter said:

During my 20 years in Idaho, I’ve had good luck with the twisted chain with cam locks as memory serves, I seem to prefer to install in the dark, on a steep grade with a partially frozen, muddy road after I’ve slid sideways for 100 feet or more, and let’s not forget a 30 mile per hour wind. Without a flashlight of course. 😂
Now I keep a new tarp in my ride so I don’t have to hose off my Carhartt after and if I think I will need them I chain up on level ground before it gets too western.

Don't forget chains for your trailer. They can help you avoid jackknifing when crawling down a steep grade (on your brake axle of course).

Good luck on your purchase.

Ya I’ve had some pretty gnarly down hill rides on dirt roads that were like a mud bog with big stock trailers. They do slide bad on you. Never thought about chains on them. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I like to see my gooseneck in my side mirrors (not out my diver or passenger window).

You probably gathered this but for others:

Those chains on the brake axle on the trailer help create some drag when you lock those tires up to get trailer back in line. I’ve had to dial my brake controller gain up at the same time cause you need that trailer to slow down faster than your truck does.

Great fun especially when the Mrs. is coming unglued in the passenger seat. 

4 hours ago, HorseHunter said:

Yeah, I like to see my gooseneck in my side mirrors (not out my diver or passenger window).

You probably gathered this but for others:

Those chains on the brake axle on the trailer help create some drag when you lock those tires up to get trailer back in line. I’ve had to dial my brake controller gain up at the same time cause you need that trailer to slow down faster than your truck does.

Great fun especially when the Mrs. is coming unglued in the passenger seat. 

Pucker 

13 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Ok I have one for you. I almost had my nose cone hit my rear cab going downhill. Had to say F it and hammer down to straighten it out. Talk about a wild ride. 

At that point it’s all you can do to straighten it out. Way to keep a cool head and make it happen!