Elkhunter1

32 year hiatus ends! 2019 Hunt

Last year was a very disappointing archery year for me as I missed several bucks during the Jan. season, I even missed a Javelina.  With my failures weighing heavy on my mind, defeating my moral I decided to pick up the rifle and chase Coues deer with it to finish the year.  Despite not having used a rifle to deer hunt in over 32 years I was excited to be in the hills of Southern Arizona on the quest to fill my tag.          Hunting with my brother Robert Forrest  brought back great memories of hunts long ago.
I spotted three bucks way up the mountain at first light.  By 7am we had lost count on the deer glassed up. We had bucks in front of us about 1000 yards out when Robert says, "get your rifle ready!" He spotted a buck BEHIND us.  The one I really wanted to go after was a heavy 2x3. We lost him when he crested an occotillo covered ridge. 
I decided to start the truck and circle around to gain a better glassing point to find that buck. We glassed for several hours to no avail. 
After circling back around and comming in from the west we spotted several does and fawns down below, one doe and fawn walked 20 yards from us as we patiently waited for all the eyes to move off. 
As we slowly worked our way around to glass the canyon most of the bucks were in we spotted a doe and a spike, just 30 more yards and there they are 3 bucks tucked down deep in the cut. These bucks were never glassed up by us during the morning session.  135 yards... I set the scope. Robert says, "shoot the one on the right!"  I tried to shoot off hand...too wavy.  They were feeding, I knew I had time so I set up my tripod with the gun craddle I made.  Took my time and squeezed the trigger.  "You hit him!"  
I instantly remember my first buck, Robert telling me, " shoot the one on the right" and him saying "you hit him." 
After finding him and a quick hug I break down and cry a little, my first buck and now my best buck with my brother by my side. 
For most of us hunting is more than killing, way more!

Screenshot_20201118-194354_Facebook.jpg

FB_IMG_1605753716949.jpg

• Like 10
  • Great Buck! 1

I loved this story - really neat way to have a repeat of your first buck. I’m missing a WT hunt that my brother is on right now and it’s killing me. Glad you got to go together. 

• Like 2