Sign in to follow this  
Prohunt

Lazzeroni Warbird

Easy now. I agree with you on ultra mags, but you're going to step on some wittle toes with talk like that.

yeah ,,, when they leave Jim's or my own Lazz Warbird Rifle ,,, we nick name them the "Meat-Seeking Missles" ,,,, MSM for short ,,,

which is more than I can say for the gentleman who thinks his ultraMag is everything the world has ever known (Lazz Warbird just eats the Ultra-mags for breakfast)) and he doesn't even like my comas ,,,,!???!

BTW ,,, they help keep my brain engaged ,,,,,

John, I'll trade you my Rem. UltraMAG for one of your Warbirds. ;) I mean you don't want me out there with that piece of crap. Take pity on me. -- No Really -- I could probably trade you my UltraMag for a Lazzeroni stock. I mean we all want to grow up someday and be able to afford a Warbird but unfortunately I got alot of growing up to do.

so why is this lazzinc guy all the sudden the authority on warbirds? i've always liked 165's in .308 cal, as long as the twist is right. and we all know i'm the smartest guy around. Lark.

I don't want to sound like an authority all the time on the Lazzeroni Warbird ,,,, But I am the one who first drew the Warbird's cartridge dimensions on a piece of paper in about 1995 ,,,, John@Lazzeroni.com ,,,

(Lazz Warbird just eats the Ultra-mags for breakfast)

And barrels!!! :)

Sorry John. I am just being a smart a$$ here. Those Lazz's sure are fast.

BTW, dont pay any attention to Lark (.270) and take him with a grain of salt. Or two. He just doesnt know any better. :)

so why is this lazzinc guy all the sudden the authority on warbirds? i've always liked 165's in .308 cal, as long as the twist is right. and we all know i'm the smartest guy around. Lark.

You gotta give credit where credit is due. He did design it for Pete's sake.

Hows that 270 shootin there Lark?

c'mon guys, i was just doin' a little chain yankin' while i was watchin' 'bama and texas. i can read his name. welcome to the site. Lark.

Lark ,,,,,

no problem ,,,, I need a little ribbing from time to time, keeps my head from getting too big ,,,,

you will be happy to know that I am working with one of the USA'a major rifle manufacturers as we speak, to offer a reasonably priced rifle in the Lazz Warbird caliber,,,,,, I am not for certain exactly when it will happen, nor will I steal their thunder with a premature announcement ,,, but it will come ,,,,

also ,,,, I need to lighten up a bit on the Ultra-mags, they really are pretty good calibers, the 300 Ultra Mag for instance is just about as fast as a 300 Wby Mag, but without the belt ,,,,, John@Lazzeroni.com ,,,,,

ok now, a 300 ultra is almost as fast as a 300 weatherby? my son has an ultra and it runs off and leaves a 300 weatherby. by several hunnerd fps. are you talking about a 30/378? i tinkered with a warbird a bunch a few years ago. a friend has one. it was neat to shoot, but dang the rifle was heavy. it was a lazzeroni rifle with the twisty looking bolt. took for ever to fill that case with powder. about had to put it in with a shovel. i liked the case being shorter and fatter than that big long .460 case the weatherby's use. thought a lot about getting a warbird some years back, but the weight of the rifle was more than i wanted to lug around. looked at the sako that they chambered in it, but felt the barrel was too short to get the kinda performance that cartridge will develop. to me, the warbird and the lazzeroni setup was what really got long range shooting off and running. all the sudden there was a some real hotrod cartridges and the info to use em out there for everyone to get ahold of. now that they make these carbon wound barrels maybe i oughta look at a warbird again. Lark.

the last time I compared the 300Wby Mag to the 300 Rem Ultra Mag ,,,,, I used factory 180gr ammo for both and factory rifles with the 26" barrel length for both ,,,, that is where I came up with the data that the 300 Ultra is ALMOST as fast as the 300 Wby ,,,,

anyone else tried that exact comparison with different results ? ,,,,

same thing happens when you compare the 30-378 Wby Mag to the Lazzeroni Warbird ,,,,, using 180gr FACTORY loads ,,,,, whether both have 26" barrels or both have 28" barrels ,,, the Lazz Warbird will beat the 30-378 Wby Mag by around 100 fps ,,,,

handloaded velocities are a different story and it all depends upon the actual dimensions of the WBY chamber, the throat, speed of the powder used and type of bullet/lubrication etc ,,,,,

the 30/378 is actually on par with the Warbird as far as velocity POTENTIAL is concerned ,,,, but the factory rifles are hindered by a poor chamber/throat design, and the big belt on the 378 case, makes it very difficult to design a mag box arrangement to hold 3 cartridges properly and make them feed flawlessly, like the Lazz Warbird does ,,,,,

That is the whole reason I made the Lazz Warbird, was to go as fast as my own 30-378 Wildcat did, but without the belt and headspace on the shoulder for better accuracy potential, along with 3 in the mag box capability ,,,,,

i don't recall the last time i shot a factory round in anything but a .22 or a shotgun and some pistols. my youngest boy just got a .45/70 and we've just shot factories out of it so far, too. but i reload exclusively for everything else we have. my son's .300 ultra has a 28 inch barrel and with the load we made up for it, it shoots a lot faster than any .300 weatherby i was ever around. the ultra holds about 15 or 20 more grains of powder and it's pretty easy to get 200-300 fps more, with like weight bullets. i know zakly what you mean about the weatherby rifles. i've never been a fan of them and they are the sorriest thing i've ever seen to load and chamber the bigger rounds. a friend has a .338/.378 and if it was mine i'd chunk it in a lake. several years ago he missed several nice bulls because it wouldn't chamber rounds worth a dang. they need to make the action about 1/4 inch longer it seems. the throats are so long on most every weatherby i've ever worked with that if you load the bullet out to where it fits the chamber, for max accuracy, they don't work well in the magazine because the COL is too long. i guess it's pretty well accepted that straight cases are a little more accurate than belted cases too, but i ain't a good enough shot to get into that kind of accuracy anyway. i'm just as bad with belted or straight. seems like in the past little while it's been the fad to make a big case and then neck it to half a dozen different calibers and then try to make each one accurate. like the short mag and super short mag experiment. there are some decent cartridges that came from the experiment, but most of them aren't as speedy as the one they're trying ot compete with and a lot of them are on their death bed now. and the supershorts were originally chambered in actions that weren't designed to handle the fat stubby cases worth a darn. one of the things that really jumped out at me with the lazzeroni's that i've had the opportunity to tinker with is how the rifle is built to match the cartridge and how well the action cycles and cartridges feed. the shorter, fatter case feeds a lot easier than the big belted cases and it has more potential to build pressure and speed with similar powder loads. from what i've read the warbird and the .30/.378 have near identical case capacities, but the warbird is always going to be speedier because of the better cartridge design. you come up with a good thing there. maybe one o' these days i'll get bored with what i have and get me one. Lark.

Lark ,,,,,

,,,and when you realize that the Lazzeroni rifles NOW are very light weight compared to 10 years ago ,,,, you might be even more impressed ,,,,,

go to the side of the home page here and click on the Lazzeroni Banner ad ,,,, you will go right to the Lazz Website for the latest information ,,,,,

also ,, remember, my own personal Lazz Warbird rifle is the Thumbhole model with a 25" barrel ,,, works like a champ ,,,, same for the one we built for Jim Reynolds ,,

john@Lazzeroni.com ,,,,

John,

Will this other rifle manufacturer chamber your Patriot as well?

Your guy told me you stopped the relationship with Savage when they discontinued their action. Guess the new models couldn't support the pressure. Now you have my head rolling trying to guess who the manufacturer may be. Gonna have any Coueswhitetail specials?!

:P

308 nuts give me lessons. hohohohohohahahahahaha. now that's funny right there, i don't care who ya are. tell us another one. everbuddy that knows anything, knows i already know it all. if i don't know it, it don't need to be knowed.

the warbird i got to use had a 28 inch barrel that was pretty heavy, seems like it might have been fluted. had a really big muzzlebrake. i took the stock off to tinker with the trigger and it was heavy as heck too. and it had a monster scope on it too. had to weigh 13 or 14 pounds. it was nice to shoot with the extra weight, but dang i'd hafta take an extra mule just for the rifle. but it was a shooter. that's when i started getting the long range bug. took me a few years to get real serious about it, but that's what started it. my oldest boy bought a tikka in .270 wsm and put a good scope on it and we started tinkering with it and got it to doing some pretty incredible things on a consistant basis. then he bought a christensen in the .300 ultra and put a fancy zeiss on it and started making some really in long shots with it. shot one bull elk that was 805 yards away. i borrowed it from him in 2008 and shot a muley at 635 and an elk at 740 with it. this past summer my kids bought me a 6.5x20x44 varixIII with a turret calibrated for my old .300 mag model 70. after i put it on the gun i realized my barrel was gone. had a 26 inch schnieder installed and had the action tuned up a little and reapplied the scope. shot a muley at 565 and a bull elk at 900 with it this past season. it's fun to shoot. the .300 winchester ain't the hotrod the warbird and ultras, etc are, but it is good enough. and like a guy i know that can really knows how to shoot told me, them aminals don't know how fast the bullet is going. after about 500 they all drop like a rock anyway. you just hafta know the rate they drop at. with all the stuff that's available on the net and stuff anymore, where other guys have done all the work for ya, it's fairly easy to set up a long ronge bomb lobber. i plan on knowing it a lot better next season. i might even break my self imposed non javelina killin' vow if i can get one to stand still at around a 1000 or so. i've made some tremendous shots with my ol .270 and with several .264's. there was a some luck and a lotta experience with kentucky windage involved with em tho. the precision stuff is sorta fun. takes a lotta gear tho. Lark.