Elkhunter1

Smoked Javi ham

I took my Javelina ham and decided to smoke it in my Big Green Egg.  I mixed several seasonings; salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, onion flakes, paprika, chili powder, thyme, turmeric, cumin, and my secret ingredient smoked Serrano pepper powder. 

I smoked it at 250° for 3.5 hours to an internal temp of 170°  with Apple wood chips.

20201227_115713.jpg

20201227_153111.jpg

20201227_164244.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/28/2020 at 11:14 AM, NOTAGS said:

still taste like Javelina?

Yes, it was fantastic.

• Like 1

Good write up.  I just killed my first javi too and was contemplating smoking one of the hams, but bone in.  I have a great brine recipe I use for deer with the sirloin tip roast (which requires injecting brine as it's too thick).  I smoke them to 140-145 and there is never an issue with dryness.  I figure keeping the bone in with the javi would help.  I see no reason to smoke javi to a higher temp?  

This is what the venison looks like. It's fully cooked, the brine has sodium nitrate just like a comercial ham which gives it a pink color.  

1027100570_smokedvenison.JPG.a7eb18d485dd5ae7d3254e2c35fd8f57.JPG

• Like 2

That's the best way to use a Javelina in my opinion. I debone the rear quarters after removing the shanks and brine them for a couple of days. I smoke them to 145 and they always turn out great. I also make pastrami out of the backstraps and that turns out pretty good as well.  

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 11:44 AM, Speedy said:

Good write up.  I just killed my first javi too and was contemplating smoking one of the hams, but bone in.  I have a great brine recipe I use for deer with the sirloin tip roast (which requires injecting brine as it's too thick).  I smoke them to 140-145 and there is never an issue with dryness.  I figure keeping the bone in with the javi would help.  I see no reason to smoke javi to a higher temp?  

This is what the venison looks like. It's fully cooked, the brine has sodium nitrate just like a comercial ham which gives it a pink color.  

1027100570_smokedvenison.JPG.a7eb18d485dd5ae7d3254e2c35fd8f57.JPG

If you do it with the bone in let us know how it turns out. I was told to always debone game animals so idk.