Sign in to follow this  
Ohthatguy

Baby teeth?

1st little piggie took less than 4 hours on opening day. Filling my 2nd pig tag proved to be much trickier.. (The group I was chasing got very skittish and jumpy.)  So with 6 hours left on the last day, I wasn't picky and took what turned out to be a young boar around 25 lbs or so. When cleaning the skull I noticed his extra teeth. I have seen several pigs much smaller than this guy and they all had a "normal" set of teeth. I have not been able to find any info on "baby or milk" teeth so not sure if this guy was just a bit slow in dropping his or if they are bonus chompers. I noticed and article on the Javelina Hunter site that credited Amandas pics and stated that they usually have all their teeth by 21 months but cannot find a picture of teeth like these. Just curious if anyone has seen a similar set.

20210131_210509-2.jpg.2cc2e819e947b43da30a48e772b4f881.jpg

• Like 1

Those inner teeth are indeed 'baby' teeth. An adult javelina has a total of 38 teeth. The lower jaw will have 20 -- 6 incisors in front of the 2 canines, 6 premolars & 6 molars behind the canines. The upper has 18 total, with 2 less incisors. 

• Like 4