Sign in to follow this  
Verndog

gps's

I'm in the need of one, with mulitple hunts coming up, and was wondering what you guys are currently using or would recommend? Thanks in advance.

I'm in the need of one, with mulitple hunts coming up, and was wondering what you guys are currently using or would recommend? Thanks in advance.

RINO makes great ones...my family and I all use the the GPS/radio combo! They are the older modles and still work great, but we would like to upgrade to the newest ones....when we can afford them that is!!

+1 on the GPS / Radio combo.

There are more features on mine than I know how to use.

I hunt out of state and in new places all the time. That's where the GPS comes in handy.

Especially marking waypoints and such. The great feature about the radio is that

if your hunting partner has one, his location and distance from you is marked on the map when he talks to you.

This comes in real handy especially when you down game and base camp is trying to locate you to come help.

I would buy one again.

+1 on the GPS / Radio combo.

There are more features on mine than I know how to use.

I hunt out of state and in new places all the time. That's where the GPS comes in handy.

Especially marking waypoints and such. The great feature about the radio is that

if your hunting partner has one, his location and distance from you is marked on the map when he talks to you.

This comes in real handy especially when you down game and base camp is trying to locate you to come help.

I would buy one again.

+1 to what Hector said... The only thing I do not like, is they have a 1 watt radio, instead of a 3 watt radio so at times the radio can leave something to be desired... Last October, when AzpackNhorns and I were packing out his buck, we were getting directions fro ajohunter on where to go... We were both using Rhino 110's... Directions to where he was at didnt come up on the radio until I climbed on top of a little ridge only 300 yards from him... A stronger radio would be nice, but the GPS works like a charm!

GArmin for sure. If you just want the gps go with the GArmin etrex line. If you want the radio and gps go with the rino by garmin. I have the 530 and it seems to be all i need. IT has the frs and gmrs chanels. You can even set up repeater chanels on it if you are a tech head and know how to do it.

I've been loooking too. I dropped my GPS and the LCD is wasted. I'm only looking at Garmin units - over the years I've just got used to their software and trust their hardware. Plus, we can now install 24K/7.5' Topos on the Garmin units (link @ end of post).

I'm not a big fan of combo devices - at least not until the devices they are combining are commodity devices (ie so cheap it doesn't matter). The problem is that you tend to get lessor functionality of both devices. I also don't usually carry radios. If I did, I'm guessing I would use more batteries than I currently use with a GPS. I typically don't leave the GPS always on and I probably would if I was using it as a radio as well. And if you're yapping on it, it will surely use more power. So even though the Garmin Rino's are pretty cool, I'm not real interested in them. They are certainly usable devices, though.

One feature that I demand in a GPS is some sort of expandability. This disappeared for a long time in Garmin units (EMap to 60 series) and is now back in most current models. This will enable you to add more maps than a fixed memory system will allow.

I might just blow the big chunk of cash on the Garmin Colorado. It is a little different than the other Garmin's with it's wheel interface. But, the feature that would get me to pay the extra is that it takes a full size SD card and can be used as a picture viewer. That would be cool for checking game cameras. It also has a nice 1.53"Wx2.55"H, 240x400 pixel LCD screen. But, the price is high - $500+ for the 400t model (topo maps installed). $599 @ cabelas.com.

If I decide I can live without the picture viewer, I'll probably go with the 60Cx or 60CSx (the diff between the two is a electronic compass & altimeter built into the models with the 'S'). I think the electronic compass would be nice so that you didn't have to be moving to discern what direction you are going. $264/$298 @ cabelas.com

I don't think I'll even look at the ETrex units. They are okay, but the screens are a little small for my tastes.

There is also a new unit coming out this fall with a touch screen. I'm not real excited about the touch screen. But, hopefully it will push down the prices of some of these other units.

And don't forget to load the 7.5' QUAD maps onto your Garmin GPS. Totally free (although you CAN donate to the cause) and totally cool:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/1

I've been loooking too. I dropped my GPS and the LCD is wasted. I'm only looking at Garmin units - over the years I've just got used to their software and trust their hardware. Plus, we can now install 24K/7.5' Topos on the Garmin units (link @ end of post).

I'm not a big fan of combo devices - at least not until the devices they are combining are commodity devices (ie so cheap it doesn't matter). The problem is that you tend to get lessor functionality of both devices. I also don't usually carry radios. If I did, I'm guessing I would use more batteries than I currently use with a GPS. I typically don't leave the GPS always on and I probably would if I was using it as a radio as well. And if you're yapping on it, it will surely use more power. So even though the Garmin Rino's are pretty cool, I'm not real interested in them. They are certainly usable devices, though.

One feature that I demand in a GPS is some sort of expandability. This disappeared for a long time in Garmin units (EMap to 60 series) and is now back in most current models. This will enable you to add more maps than a fixed memory system will allow.

I might just blow the big chunk of cash on the Garmin Colorado. It is a little different than the other Garmin's with it's wheel interface. But, the feature that would get me to pay the extra is that it takes a full size SD card and can be used as a picture viewer. That would be cool for checking game cameras. It also has a nice 1.53"Wx2.55"H, 240x400 pixel LCD screen. But, the price is high - $500+ for the 400t model (topo maps installed). $599 @ cabelas.com.

If I decide I can live without the picture viewer, I'll probably go with the 60Cx or 60CSx (the diff between the two is a electronic compass & altimeter built into the models with the 'S'). I think the electronic compass would be nice so that you didn't have to be moving to discern what direction you are going. $264/$298 @ cabelas.com

I don't think I'll even look at the ETrex units. They are okay, but the screens are a little small for my tastes.

There is also a new unit coming out this fall with a touch screen. I'm not real excited about the touch screen. But, hopefully it will push down the prices of some of these other units.

And don't forget to load the 7.5' QUAD maps onto your Garmin GPS. Totally free (although you CAN donate to the cause) and totally cool:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/1

Can that web site be used to download to a etrex vista?

Can that web site be used to download to a etrex vista?

I'm guessing it's pretty much any mapping Garmin. You install the map set & download to your GPS using MapSource. It's pretty much the same process as downloading from Garmin TOPO, Metroguide or whatever.

EDIT - started a new thread. I thought this was discussed here before!

I love my Rino!!! My wife bought me the 520 (? I think) and then I bought the topo chip for it... it is frickin' awesome!! Worth every penny!

PS: Are you the same Verndog that I played Baseball with at PHS??? If so say hello to the familly!

Later,

Gino

Thanks guys. And yes Gino, one in the same, just now in the heart of 33. Vern :rolleyes:

Small world, my friend!!! ;) The web makes it even smaller! :lol: Had a hunch it was you! Tell your Bride, "Hello" for us! How's the Boy? Still playin' ball, I hope! Mine is in Nor. Cal. fighting fires..... he is supose to take his cousin down to your neck of the woods for the Nov. Juniors hunt...... I'll try to get him over your way to look you up.

Good luck hunting this year! And buy that Rino GPS... you will not regret it. It has it all!

Later! ;)

"I might just blow the big chunk of cash on the Garmin Colorado. It is a little different than the other Garmin's with it's wheel interface. But, the feature that would get me to pay the extra is that it takes a full size SD card and can be used as a picture viewer. That would be cool for checking game cameras. It also has a nice 1.53"Wx2.55"H, 240x400 pixel LCD screen. But, the price is high - $500+ for the 400t model (topo maps installed). $599 @ cabelas.com."

check out there newest one the Oregon 400T...it is a touchscreen gps...It is very easy to use, but then again what garmin is not easy to use. The Oregon has everything the Colorado has. They are some cool little units

"I might just blow the big chunk of cash on the Garmin Colorado. It is a little different than the other Garmin's with it's wheel interface. But, the feature that would get me to pay the extra is that it takes a full size SD card and can be used as a picture viewer. That would be cool for checking game cameras. It also has a nice 1.53"Wx2.55"H, 240x400 pixel LCD screen. But, the price is high - $500+ for the 400t model (topo maps installed). $599 @ cabelas.com."

check out there newest one the Oregon 400T...it is a touchscreen gps...It is very easy to use, but then again what garmin is not easy to use. The Oregon has everything the Colorado has. They are some cool little units

It has everything EXCEPT a full size SD slot... :(