For me, it seems like many folks here in AZ have never even been exposed to gun-dogs in the first place.  The average dove & quail hunter here in AZ just doesn't know what they are missing.  I know that growing-up in a small town in the 70s, we hunted rabbits and birds all the time, but never over dogs.  Was always run & gun Gambels chasing for us.   Wasn't until I was an adult that I discovered that a handful of 'points' over a good dog was => running-gunning a limit of Gambels.

• Like 1

I agree .. I never seen a wide supply of gun dogs in az , other than blue ticks and red bones pushing bear and lion .. Being from Illinois we always had dogs ,,, grand father raised 14inch Beagles for rabbit and critters and Britts for pheasant and ducks... we had some  good Thanksgiving day dinners too...

• Like 1

There is a decent amount of bird dogs out here. If you want to be around gun dog guys look into Arizona pointing dog club, NSTRA, and Quail Forever. 

• Like 1

You know Arizona/New Mexico is in almost every upland magazine every month. I currently live in Vail and you will see trucks with dog boxes all the from Dec-Feb with out of state plates coming to hunt here. AZ also has two very popular NSTRA clubs as well. Bird hunting is a big deal in AZ just as in Illinois where I grew up as well. I might be a big game hunter on a big game form but I identify as a bird hunter more so. Tres is your dog from Arlette and Steve?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Upland81 said:

You know Arizona/New Mexico is in almost every upland magazine every month. I currently live in Vail and you will see trucks with dog boxes all the from Dec-Feb with out of state plates coming to hunt here. AZ also has two very popular NSTRA clubs as well. Bird hunting is a big deal in AZ just as in Illinois where I grew up as well. I might be a big game hunter on a big game form but I identify as a bird hunter more so. Tres is your dog from Arlette and Steve?

Yes both of my Britts are from them. I am on a different waiting list for another pup that is due in April. 

2 hours ago, FirstBlood said:

So what age do you recommend to do serious training for pointing.. ?  I already started on the basic . 

Enjoy the puppy age right now. Give it a few months. 

where are you located