COOSEFAN

First Coues for George!

Well we're back from the first part of the hunts and some big ol' bucks hittin' the ground! The rut is VERY weak in our units and the weather SUCKED.....I HATE WIND! Anyways... I was in 34A with a first time Coues hunter lookin' to put himself one step closer to his deer slam. The hunt lasted one day, starting with two 90" class bucks in the scope at over a mile away across the biggest canyon in the area! George took one look and said he'd love to tag either one so the race was on! At 60+ yrs old, we were not crossing the canyon.....even though George wanted to....but 6 hours later and about 20 miles of pavement and 15 miles of nasty Arizona backroads, we were finally crawling over a ridge 300 yrds from the cut the bucks had gone into! Shortpants has a set of rules that is applied to Coues hunting and rule #2 is..."They're always where you last saw them", and this rule applied on this day! About 45 minutes before dark, the bucks reappeared and fed out. With camera rolling, I leaned over to George and whispered...."let me know when you are about to sh......BOOM! The buck landed on his back and my ears were ringing! He made a perfect shot at 290 yrds walking quartered away! I couldn't keep up with George on the way down to his buck, he was so excited about his first Coues! He now has a new appreciation for our little deer and is now just a Sitka Blacktail away from his slam! I wish you the best of luck in completing your quest George, we shared an awesome one day adventure with a great buck to show for it! During scouting I got to experience what it's like to be a hound chasing and treeing a bear! It was all fun until it dawned on me the bear was small enough to possibly still be hangin' with Momma Bear.......I didn't hang around long after he started huffin' and poppin' his teeth! Our boys in 36B had a great time and I can't wait for you all to see their photos and videos of their great bucks....let's see em' guys! Thanks JIM>

34AGomes.jpg

34AGomes3.jpg

34ABear.jpg

Wow what an incredible buck. Thanks for sharing those pictures with us and what a great story. Good luck with the rest of your hunts George. Great Job. Keep Huntin'!

DAN - Shortshooter

Great story and very nice buck. Great big Coingratulations

Christian and Casey (younghunter and firstcoueswas80) both teamed up and helped me out with one of our hunters and did a great job, they both have talent and knowledge that far exceeds their age and was a pleasure to spend time with them over the last couple of days. I also had the good fortune to meet Scottyboy as he stopped by and he even politely choked down a Moose steak that I overcooked and over seasoned :( sorry 'bout that ;) Christian was able to digiscope some pic's and video of a nice buck that their client shot at and missed yesterday in it's bed. We all thought it was a done deal, the stalk was perfect, the setup and shot was perfect, but the placement was a tad low and the buck is still roaming the hillside! All you can do is put it in front of em' boys, the rest is up to them....you did good! Thanks for all the effort, JIM>

Here is the pic's and video Christian took just before the shot yesterday.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/CDWol...nt=PC180027.flv

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/CDWol...yofPC180025.jpg

th_PC180027.jpg

CopyofPC180025.jpg

The weather this past week was brutal to say the least. Friday was hot but calm and then saturday through Sunday was good temps but windy. Monday we were fogged in for the morning and the wind started to blow and Tuesday was good weather for the first couple hours.

Still beats being at home :P

leaned over to George and whispered...."let me know when you are about to sh......BOOM! The buck landed on his back and my ears were ringing!

HAHA!!! That's awesome!

George congratulations on your beautiful buck! Jim I have a photography question. How did you get the yellowish sunset light in the first picture where in the second picyure you have more of a normal mid-day sharp picture?

Bob

Man i had a blast guiding for Jim! we had terrible weather most of the time but man o man did i have a blast! that video of George's buck is awesome! i cant wait to do it again! Jim, let me know when you go pig hunting, ill have the time to go out and pack that big ole pig you called dibbs on out for you, wouldnt wanna have you break a sweat ;)

my favorite part was right before Bret, Jerry and myself left to go after Jerrys buck i looked at you and called dibbs on packing out the buck. the look on your face and your response was great "(with a man your crazy look on your face) its all yours"

hahah good stuff!

George congratulations on your beautiful buck! Jim I have a photography question. How did you get the yellowish sunset light in the first picture where in the second picyure you have more of a normal mid-day sharp picture?

Bob

The sun was setting fast behind the mountain and by the time I finished videotaping, I was only able to snap a couple of pic's with the sunlight still on the subject. All the rest were taken in the shaded part of the hillside from that point on. I actually thought about draggin' the buck higher up back into the sunlight but it was to darn heavy. George emailed me and said he took home 61 lbs of boned out meat! The shoulders and hind legs were still in it but that is 61 lbs with out ribcage, spine/neck, cape,legs, head and guts! It was the fattest buck I had ever cut up! Thanks JIM>

Also, this buck had 17" tip-to-tip ears! And that wasn't me pulling them out either! They looked like floppy carp ears. His outside spread was 15" and with his height, he's one beautiful buck!

Hey Casey, you are an animal! You can be my pack mule ANYDAY! JIM>

Great stuff Guys! Congratulations on a wonderful trip. :lol: This is the kind of stories we all love to read. Thanks again.

Travis Roberts

Tucson, AZ

Way to go boys!!! Sorry I couldn't be there for this one Jimbo but the family duties called. I'm proud of all of ya! WACK 'EM AND STACK 'EM! I LOVE IT! :D

Jim,

I see. You were east of the Santa Ritas and had alot of ambient light once the sun went down. Nice photos for quickies. That first one should be in a magazine. Rack framing your clients face. Beautiful light. Well posed. The client looks great. Good example for others. I am going to steal this set up. All I need is a wide 95 inch buck. Real nice picture. Those ears are huge!

Bob

That is a very beautiful photo. Nice job! And don't forget if you want the photo posted in the main photogallery, rather than just the forum, please email the photos and info to me.

Nice to see so many CW.com members out there helping each other out on the hunts!

Amanda