Sign in to follow this  
BRKNARW

WHERE'S ALL THE BIG BUCKS IN 37B

Compared to last year this year has really been bad. I've hunted a total of 14 days and only seen 4 mature bucks. Even large groups of doe have been hard to find. These 4 mature bucks only 1 has been with does. Is anyone having better luck?

Where have you been focusing? 37B is sooooo big! ;) Flats towards Florence? Gila river? Tecalote? 96 hills?

I haven't hunted deer there in years (grew up in Kearny), but still chase quail on occasion. Saw a couple of decent bucks up high (Tecalote), but not big ones. It's just not like the good ol' days! :angry:

S.

:)

are you asking big deer or mature deer? also the rifle hunters have been doing good work in there the past few years.

in the flats!!!! :D

+1 , 120carp! ;) Find a set of tracks in a wash and start following (VERY slowly)! :)

Seriously though BRKNARW, there are a few big deer there. They are few and far between though. If you can find a little hill in the flats and have good binoculars/tripod, you might be able to catch one. The flats are very tough though....... For some reason they often dissapear before you even see them!

Sincere good luck in 37B!

S.

PS: I think the WM from 37B cruises this site from time to time. Maybe do a search and pick his brain?

I have not hunted a lot in 37b this year and the days that I have been in there I have only seen 1 buck. He was a nice 3x4 and I would have shot him if he would have stopped long enough for me to catch up to him(at least I wish I could have)! He was all by himself but he was on the trail of something because his neck was huge and his mouth was wide open the whole time I watched him. He walked right by a doe bedded and she was obviously not what he was looking for.

I used to archery hunt 37B years ago, back in the 80's before the decline.The biggest deer I ever saw was in that unit. Maybe with the warm weather the deer have been more nocturnal?

Having lived in the 37B area in the Riverside/Kearny area there were several areas that produced several nice bucks through out the years.One would be to hunt the upper drainage of Ripsey wash area. Another area is the flats west of the teacup ranch house that flat area use to hold alot of deer. Another would be across the river from the A diamond ranch you can cross the river where ripsey wash meets the Gila pretty good ridges off to the east.As stated in another post the tocalote area north towards hackberry wash and Jim Thomas wash were also good in the pass. I have not hunted that unit in several years but if I was to return thats some areas where I would start.Good luck

I used to archery hunt 37B years ago, back in the 80's before the decline.The biggest deer I ever saw was in that unit. Maybe with the warm weather the deer have been more nocturnal?

Touching down on this a little bit, my grandfather worked and was very close friends with one of the rancher's from Willow Springs. My grandpa is getting up in age but he has passed down the stories of seeing muleys that were as wide as the back of a jeep. Anyways, 37B holds some decent bucks, but just like anything else you have to put in the time and hope for a little luck.

Ripsey, A-Diamond, Jim Thomas, etc....... You are making me homesick! ;)

Big +1 on the across the river from A-Diamond comment. Tough country to get there, but can be worth it. Maybe access this from the Battle Ax road too, if you're into hiking a bit.

S.

PS: Back in the old days all of the areas mentioned were also THICK with quail! ;)