jamaro

Desert Sheep Skull for sale...

I have a twin to the one shown on that website. Found it in the Mohawks in about 1953 or 54. The skull on mine is in better shape, though. Will be interesting to know what New Mexico will sell those for.

Bill Quimby

I have a twin to the one shown on that website. Found it in the Mohawks in about 1953 or 54. The skull on mine is in better shape, though. Will be interesting to know what New Mexico will sell those for.

Bill Quimby

The last one that sold in 2005 sold for... PS... Can i get a loan???

$31,000.00

it might have been because of the high rollers going at it but that was the amount...

$31,000 for a pick-up head is mind-blowing. Some people have more money than sense. Be sure to post what NMGFD gets for those eight heads.

Bill Quimby

Bill Quimby

The last one that sold in 2005 sold for... PS... Can i get a loan???

$31,000.00

it might have been because of the high rollers going at it but that was the amount...

For CWT members, I'm offering a 15% discount on my pick-up desert sheep head and will accept payments: $26,350 cash or $734 month for 36 months. Certified checks required. :P

Bill Quimby

Bill, do you know how the law is written on a person finding a bighorn skull. Can that person claim it? With that kind of money I might start looking around. I know there has been several probably found. Just wondering! :)

TJ

I have no idea, TJ, but I believe my pick-up head would be grandfathered and exempt if we have such a law today. I found it near a tinaja while hunting burros 59 years ago, when there was no law prohibiting keeping found wildlife parts.

(To protect sheep habitat, AZGFD and land management agencies encouraged hunters to shoot every feral burro on sight. The Yuma Rod and Gun Club even held an annual wild burro barbecue.)

My guess is that there aren't many such heads waiting to be found. Very few people got into the Mohawks or any of the mountains in that part of the state in the early 1950s compared to the number of people running around all year around just about everywhere now. Legal or not, I doubt that few people would leave a sheep head where they found it.

If there is no law that prohibits keeping them, a good place to look for sheep heads might be the Kofas, where mountain lions decimated its sheep herd over the past decade or so.

I imagine the refuge people, guides and guys who drew sheep tags in that unit have already found the easily accessible ones, though.

Bill Quimby

Bill, you know we don't have a lion problem. Quit starting rumors. Oh, and I'll swap ya a 25/35 for that sheep head. Lark.

Lark, don't tell anyone but I'll give you a deal on that head: $25,000.00 payable over five years with an annual interest rate of 17.5% on the unpaid balance.

Bill Quimby

Lark, don't tell anyone but I'll give you a deal on that head: $25,000.00 payable over five years with an annual interest rate of 17.5% on the unpaid balance.

Bill Quimby

Now that's funny! :D

TJ

Short story....back in the late 1980's a hiker friend of mine came across a fresh bighorn sheep lion kill along the Salt River near Stewart Mountain and informed me about it, being that he knew I was a hunter and saved animal skulls for Boy Scout presentations and science class lessons. He brought the skull back in a sack and marked the kill location on a topo map and also informed the Game and Fish of his find and requested to keep the skull so he could transfer it to a friend (me)as a gift. Well, the Game and Fish BEAT me to his home which was a 30 minute drive for me after receiving his phone call. He told me the two agents were very rude and impounded the skull as eveidence and the topo map to investigate the kill site, which clearly was a lion kill, according to my "naturalist/knowledgable" friend. He took me to the kill spot the very next day so I could check it out too, and the remaining carcass was gone. We called the Game and Fish for answers and to check on his request to keep the skull. Game and Fish responded that no bighorn sheep carcass had been reported, nor had any skull been impounded for investigation, etc. We were both floored at the dishonesty of the whole ordeal and figured that the agents were in on a profit splitting deal with a "private buyer" to improve their own economic situation. I have a heard a few stories like this throughout my lifetime and figured that they were mostly urban legends told by hunters around campfires until it happened to my own small circle.

have to agree with you on that one - G&F likes the money they get from heads

if there is no hide or meat attached it is legal to pick them up

There are no skulls in the Kofas. But you wouldn't believe the amount of sheep skulls found in 41 just a few feet from the Kofa borderline. Craziest thing you ever seen. Since the Kofas are a National Wildlife Refuge every skull you find in there can not be taken out legally. But those lions always seem to drag those things just over the line into 41. Craziest thing you ever seen. :D

• Like 1

hey if that person paid $31k for skull what would he give me for my whole sheeeeeeeep??????????? Cabelas sent me offer for my sheep before i even hunted and it was like 2k if i remember correctly, it gave me a good laugh.. :lol: