Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

Gravedigger question

I'm playing around with some Cut on Contact Gravediggers. No matter how loose I set the screw I can't get them to deploy in my foam target (Black Hole). They just tear right through it. Will they not deploy in a foam target? Is there a trick to setting the blades? This is at 40 and 60 yds. They are also noticeably louder than anything else I've shot.

This is what is sticking out the backside of my target

post-5874-0-31709600-1408943771_thumb.jpg

Is it possible that you just can not tell they have deployed? You would not be able to tell by the entry and upon sudden stop from the target the blades may end up back in original position. I also shoot these heads. When I tested them I put a piece of cardboard 3-4 inches in front of my foam target. The entry into the cardboard looked as they do when closed but the foam target clearly showed full deployment.

Is it possible that you just can not tell they have deployed? You would not be able to tell by the entry and upon sudden stop from the target the blades may end up back in original position. I also shoot these heads. When I tested them I put a piece of cardboard 3-4 inches in front of my foam target. The entry into the cardboard looked as they do when closed but the foam target clearly showed full deployment.

I kinda doubt they deployed and then went back in the stowed position. The arrow slows gradually as it comes to a stop once coming out the back end of the target. I'll try stacking a couple pieces of cardboard in front of my target and see if the thicker material will get them to deploy. Makes me nervous shooting anything with these although I've seen pictures of them working with huge holes on bucks.

Interesting that they are noticeably loud. What do you think is causing the noise? Ive been thinking about trying these out before my Nov elk hunt.

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried cardboard in front of my target today and it clearly shows deployed! Behind the target back in the stowed position. I was about to give up on these but they are shooting with my Wac'ems so these are getting packed along for my hunt. They still sound like missiles though.

post-5874-0-16187700-1409062327_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Glad it worked. I killed a couple of pigs with these last year and was pretty impressed with the results. I found them to fly extremely well. I have not noticed the sound issue with mine though. Not sure why you would be getting that?

Glad to see you got the deployment issue solved. Gonna pick some up next week and start playing with them. Still wondering about the noise issue. Anyone else experience this?

I shoot an omen at 305 fps and my gravediggers are silent going down range! I also have a black hole target I shoot them in and they deploy everytime! They didn't at first but once I loosened the screw they deploy everytime

Today I stopped in Bullbasin in Tucson looking for some chisel tip Gravedigger broadheads but all they had was the coc ones. I bought some anyways and was thinking I should of had them order some of chisel tips because they looked like they would fly better. But to my surprise the coc ones flew awesome out to 90! Im kinda of excited to see what these things will do to an animal. You get great accuracy, good penatration, and plenty of cutting diameter. What else could you possibly want from a broadhead?

• Like 1

Seventy four yards for this pic, it was the third shot for the day practicing with the chisel tip Grave Digger. I like em'

So your last pics shows the same performance I was getting. Deploying, but then going back to stowed position after it stops.

Great shooting

I just used these on my recent late season elk hunt. They performed beyond expectation. 50 yard shot, hit right where I was aiming, complete pass thru, exited thru the shoulder blade and stuck in the dirt. Elk was dead 20 seconds and 20 yards later. I was using the cut on contact head and only have some minor damage to the fixed blade which is replaceable. I would bet the chisel tip would be even more durable. They are my new favorite broadhead.

• Like 1

I used the cut on contact GraveDigger on my elk hunt this year and will swear by them from now on! I made a bad hit into the shoulder at 55 yards but it still penetrated enough to hit both lungs! One thing I haven't noticed is noise while in flight as mentioned earlier, mine fly pretty quiet. JIM>

• Like 1