olmos1010

First bobcat ever

Just got word from my old man that the single cage I set last night has my first bobcat ever in it. As a first year trapper and only really been hunting for the past 8 years I've never been able to close the deal on a bobcat. My ol lady calls him my nemesis. I don't get of work for a couple more hours to see him in person though. My question is do I take him or her no matter what because its my first, or cut him loose if he or she doesn't fit the bill? I'm torn.

post-4177-0-59527000-1416514154_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hard to tell from pic on size but it's what ever you feel you should. do unless some one else is paying for your gas and time their opinion means nothing. Post update asap and congrats on the first of hopefully many!!!!

• Like 3

Hard to tell from pic on size but it's what ever you feel you should. do unless some one else is paying for your gas and time their opinion means nothing. Post update asap and congrats on the first of hopefully many!!!!

Right on bud, I appreciate it.

Like Presmyk said There is no wrong answer on whatever you do. I let one go last year to catch it in the same cage the next check and my partner decided to take it. It stretched to a 28" cat , basically a kitten. I felt like I was making the right decision in letting it go and he felt like he was making the right decision by taking it. Its hard to tell how big they really are in those cages especially if its the first one you have caught.

• Like 1

That is the beauty of choice that your live trap gives you. Congratulations on your first cat!

• Like 1

Decided to let him go. He was just too young and the fur just isn't quite ready yet. The decision wasn't as hard as I initially thought. Thanks to all for the comments. Couple more pics.

post-4177-0-76808200-1416533249_thumb.jpg

post-4177-0-04666000-1416533303_thumb.jpg

post-4177-0-76600800-1416533395_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Good choice. Juvenile cat for sure. Stick to those big toms. Good to see guys like yourself using some management practice. Keep up the good work man.

• Like 1

Ya those pics can see the size alot better. Could you tell if was female or tom? Where there is one there are more

I couldn't tell if it was a female or a Tom. It stayed pretty balled up and was pretty scared. After a few pics and some video I lifted the door and it was gone. It was pretty crazy to me cause even with the door open for over a minute it still took some tapping on the back of the cage with the catch pole before it came flying out. Even being an adolescent cat in a cage and me being a 240lb man the cat still had me flinching the few times it flared up on me, pretty funny.

• Like 1

Lol ya that's funny because it's true know can't get you but still jump every time.

Good call on letting the cat go. Im sure you will be rewarded with a big ol nasty tom soon enough. You will know when you see one. As soon as you lay eyes on it, "yeah! That ones coming home with me" its almost always without doubt. The big ol boys are set aside by themselves.

• Like 1

Are you running mercer cages?

Yeah they are Mercers cages. Only going to run 8 this first year but even getting just the 8 in the field is a chore right now. Full time job and a family its hard to get out as much as I'd like to. By the way the single cage I got out right now caught another or the same cat in it today/last night. Two releases in two days. We'll see what tomorrow brings and hopefully I can get a few more traps out. I'm starting to think he (the bobcat) is my nemesis as I've still yet to bring one home, lol. Pic of him or her today.

post-4177-0-64414000-1416632302_thumb.jpg

The black stripes on leg make me think different one but that's awesome