Sign in to follow this  
DotShot

Need some advice

I've almost exclusively shot Barnes ammo out of all my rifles from a 25-06 up to my 300WSM and have been nothing but impressed. I bought a Remington 700 XCR in 300 Win Mag and could never get it to group (used 165gr TTSX) which from what i have read is a little to light for the 300 Win Mag and may have been my consistent grouping problem. None the less I've ALWAYS wanted a Sendero but trying to find one in 300 Win Mag new is next to impossible so i figured the RUM would cover the bases all the way around and that i would start with 180gr TTSX and see what happens. Unfortunately, trying to find Barnes 300 RUM 180gr TTSX is next to impossible (found 1 place online and bought 2 boxes) and the Nosler ammo is even more difficult to find in stock (havent found ANY in stock yet). So, i'll give the Barnes a whirl and hope for the best. I really do appreciate all to input it has opened my eyes as far as my entry into long range shooting.

Buy a RCBS starter kit and start loading it's very rewarding kinda makes you feel like a mad scientist. My favorite rifle is a 6mm Remington and finding factory ammo for that is hard.

This is what I have learned over the years.

Factory barrels no matter what you do will not clean like a match barrel.

With that said I use to shoot 1, clean for 10, then shoot 5, clean for 20, ect. Then I tried it on another barrel just shooting it. Both barrels broke in or not were still a nightmare to clean.

Then I bought a match barrel. I did a shoot 1, clean for 3 rounds, then shoot 5, clean for 20, and believe it or not it takes me about 5 minutes now to clean ALL copper out of my barrel using a bore scope to inspect.

So when I just did my last build I only did the shoot 1, clean for 3 and she is probably the easiest to clean.

I have used numerous bore cleaners and have found that Proshot 1 step cleaner and lubricant, and the copper cleaner helps KEEP your barrel clean for longer shooting sessions.

I clean the carbon out with the one step and then bore scope to see if I need the copper removed. If so I then use the copper remover with a nylon brush only. then back to the 1 step and patch till dry.

IF I ever own another factory barrel I will slam my head against a wall. They just will never come clean because of ALL the tool marks. Now getting a factory barrel lapped maybe a great idea.

• Like 1

As for the .300WM vs. .300RUM debate.....you can load a .300RUM down to .300WM levels, but not vice versa.

haters-gonna-hate.jpg

It just takes too much powder to gain what little you gain. The best 300 in my opinion is the 30/338 however for factory the 300 wby is still the best in my opinion but due to brass prices I will stick to win mag yet thats why there are soo many 300s. That way we can all have our own favorites.

• Like 1

Wipe out Rules, spray it in the barrel and walk away. patch out the barrel the next day. thats it

do it for 3 days in a row if your barrel is real bad.

johnny

Just went through the break in process with a new 6.5-06 match barrel my shooting buddy installed on my hunting rifle. With a match barrel all the "break in" does is smooth any minor tool marks in the throat left by the reamer. We did 3 one shot and cleans followed by a 5 shot and clean. Now, the barrel simply doesn't copper foul...

I have not discerned any improvement from breaking in a factory barrel.

• Like 1