yotebuster

Idaho shiras moose tag!!!

Nice!!

I am not an experienced muzzleloader hunter. Would the float trip pose an issue with the powder?

Nice!!

I am not an experienced muzzleloader hunter. Would the float trip pose an issue with the powder?

It could. I would say hunting in the rain would be worse. For the most part the powder in your gun (atleast on modern inlines) is pretty safe. The only exception wod be taking he gun in and out of a warm vehicle on a cold cold day. You just have to be a little more proactive to make sure you keep things protected. 777 is kind of touchy as it is water soluble so it will take in humidity out of the air. Blackhorn is oil soluble so much better if its wet. I'm leaning toward using a shotgun just for simplicity. Grab a pocket full of shells and go. Also it'll be nice to have follow up shots on moose which I'm guessing could be kinda close during the rut. I just bought some of these to try.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/181751/remington-premier-ammunition-12-gauge-3-385-grain-accutip-bonded-sabot-slug-with-power-port-tip-box-of-5

With a 385gr bullet doing 1900 fps these are beating a normal muzzleloader in energy and just behind my ultimate firearms muzzle loader with uses 200 gr of powder and a 300gr bullet at 2350. It's a toss up but I'm gonna take the Benelli out in the next few weeks and shoot it a bunch and see what kind of groups I get. I'll keep you guys updated!

Got the Benelli all scoped up last weekend and ran a few down range. Put five into 2.5" or so at 100 which blows me away. Gonna take her out to 200 this weekend and see how it does. Pretty impressed with this thing!

post-2932-0-56686700-1437079769_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It is the best shell out there for the ranges out past 100 yards as far as accuracy goes, even beats out the Brenneke stuff.

It is the best shell out there for the ranges out past 100 yards as far as accuracy goes, even beats out the Brenneke stuff.

Have you killed anything with them prdator? They're supposed to be bonded. Not a lot of bullet selection out there for slugs I guess but they outdo everything else in velocity, energy, and they shoot good so I guess they'll have to do. I'm gonna roll around the farm here and see if I can't find some gophers to try them out on!

I finally got them out to 225yds. I have a leupold scope on it with drop compensation for slugs. Turns out to be off by about 6" at 200 but a little testing got me solid hold marks at 50,100,150,175,200,225. Even though these are one of the fastest slugs out there, they still shoot a rainbow! According to published ballistics they hold above 1000 ft/lbs to 200 yds. Seems like I read somewhere that 1000 ft/lbs is considered minimum lethal for elk, so it should be real similar for a shiras moose. Was able to get this group at 225. Pretty happy with that accuracy considering the trigger on the shotgun is pretty crappy. Also my curiosity got the best of me and I tore into one of them. The bullet is actually brass jacketed. They likely won't expand much as the brass is hard as heck but at .62 cal I don't think I want them much bigger!!

post-2932-0-97007400-1437496965_thumb.jpg

post-2932-0-17822700-1437496991_thumb.jpg

3" Groups at 100 yds with a scattergun is pretty impressive. I am excited to tag along with you on your adventure from behind my keyboard. Good luck!

• Like 1

I will keep an eye out for you while I'm fishing the river. I'm in Idaho Falls and hit the South fork quite often. I haven't seen any really big bulls there but do see moose quite often. I'm close by so if you get one down and need help let me know.

Yotebuster, Saw a monster Bull here in the Knife river valley on Sat. afternoon.70 yards off highway 2. Standing broadside. Was hoping he didn't get hit crossing the road. When I came back thru 3 hours later didnt see anything so he made it. There was a cow 40 yards behind him. Weird cause it was middle of the day and 90+ degees out. I know of 3 that have been hit by trucks or car in last 3 weeks. Hope G&F here takes in account how many get killed by trucks in the oilfield. Ive seen about 30 of them now in my 4+ years up here. Kinda cool seeing them things. This one had a huge rack and body. Good luck in Idaho. I will be going thru Williston Tomm..Hows Your buss. going there?.......BOB!

Yotebuster, Saw a monster Bull here in the Knife river valley on Sat. afternoon.70 yards off highway 2. Standing broadside. Was hoping he didn't get hit crossing the road. When I came back thru 3 hours later didnt see anything so he made it. There was a cow 40 yards behind him. Weird cause it was middle of the day and 90+ degees out. I know of 3 that have been hit by trucks or car in last 3 weeks. Hope G&F here takes in account how many get killed by trucks in the oilfield. Ive seen about 30 of them now in my 4+ years up here. Kinda cool seeing them things. This one had a huge rack and body. Good luck in Idaho. I will be going thru Williston Tomm..Hows Your buss. going there?.......BOB!

Hey Bob, Ive run into a few moose here in the Yellowstone bottoms, it's always neat to see them standing in a field here, they stick out like a turd in a punch bowl! Business is good, staying plenty busy despite all of the slowdown, blows my mind that $50 oil hasn't hurt things worse. I remember all the speculation that when it hit $80 it was gonna bust, then $70 and so on. This thing is here to stay that's for sure. I bet you're jacked for your elk hunt, the stars have definitely aligned for it!!! Wish I had a little free time I'd come down and glass for ya. I'm elk hunting in Utah 3rd week of sept then moose first week of October. Also decided to forgoe my Labor Day weekend tradition of trying to arrow a nd whitetail in exchange for a trip to Idaho to scout/hunt for moose. The season opens aug 30th so I can hunt right away. They won't be rutting and the leaves will be thick and it'll be hot but I at least want to get a feel for the place since its a once in a lifetime tag!

See any Mooose, or find a place to hunt?...................BOB!

Sorry guys I got side tracked! We saw 3 small Bulls and a few cows. Learned a ton though. Figured out that a lot of the places I had scouted on Google earth didn't have access to the public as I had hoped. All of the roads accessing them are blocked by private. Also learned that the river is far too fast and shallow for my boat and outboard. We floated the river with a fishing guide one day and learned about rowing. I think we are gonna rent a drift boat a few days of the hunt and hunt the few walk in spots the other days. We leave tomorrow to hunt until the following Sunday. Hopefully that's enough time to get one knocked down! Getting excited!! Ill try to post some pics of the scouting trip in a bit. Hopefully I'll have some pics of a big bull by next week!!

• Like 1