couesdeerhntr

Finally drew a 3a/3c early archery bull tag

Bonecollector777, he's not sure but leaning towards archery. :)

TJ

With 18 points I think he is probably guaranteed it is archery. I don't think 18 is max points for rifle but definitely is for archery so he would not have made it to the random draw for the rifle hunt. There could have been a little point creep though.

TJ

With 18 points I think he is probably guaranteed it is archery. I don't think 18 is max points for rifle but definitely is for archery so he would not have made it to the random draw for the rifle hunt. There could have been a little point creep though.

18 would've gotten a 23n archery tag wouldn't it? Hope he got 3a/c rifle but I think these guys are right that he prob didn't have a chance at it.

TJ

18 would've gotten a 23n archery tag wouldn't it? Hope he got 3a/c rifle but I think these guys are right that he prob didn't have a chance at it.

18 would have gotten it for you last year, but it was right on the bubble. It looks like one person with 17 got it last year, but several did not. My guess is there was some downward point creep this year due to the non-resident change. I would guess you did get the 23n archery tag.

post-6408-0-37304500-1459877353_thumb.png

Yeah he would have been right there for the 23n tag but in all honesty 3c really stepped it up last year. And there are a lot of up and comers in 3c. My dad had 23n last year and as good as it was I believe there were just as many big Bulls killed out of 3c as 23n on the Archery hunt. Don't know about rifle or late rifle. I know of a 415, 390, 387, 375, 370, and multiple Bulls in the 350-360 range killed in 3c last year. So all in all I think he did just fine.

• Like 1

Yeah he would have been right there for the 23n tag but in all honesty 3c really stepped it up last year. And there are a lot of up and comers in 3c. My dad had 23n last year and as good as it was I believe there were just as many big Bulls killed out of 3c as 23n on the Archery hunt. Don't know about rifle or late rifle. I know of a 415, 390, 387, 375, 370, and multiple Bulls in the 350-360 range killed in 3c last year. So all in all I think he did just fine.

I don't know much about each unit other then reputation and a little shed hunting, but aren't there 10x the tags in 3a/c as 23n? Just curious. Mostly dreaming as I can't ever get myself to hold off on other units long enough to get any of these!

I don't know much about each unit other then reputation and a little shed hunting, but aren't there 10x the tags in 3a/c as 23n? Just curious. Mostly dreaming as I can't ever get myself to hold off on other units long enough to get any of these!
That's correct. Way more tags in 3c. Only 15 in 23n and I think around 125 in 3c.

Congratulations! It took me 13 years to get my first tag, and it was in 3c in 2013. I shot the bull attached In 2014. See coueswhitetail.com here: "www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/43272-my-first-elk-hunt-and-my-first-elk-unit-3c/".

I was really lucky and was drawn for a antelope in 4B and also connected there. See attached pictures.

Last year, believe it or not, my 10yr old grandson and myself were drawn for the rut hunt in 3c again. I spent 10 days and about 20-25 stalks with my grandson, trying to get him one. He came really close a few times. After I took him home, I only had 3 days left. At about 12:30pm on the last day, I hit a bigger bull than I shot in 2013, but as soon as I released, I knew it was going to hit him low in the chest. After searching for about 3 hours with no blood or arrow, I got close to him and saw him take off over the ridge. I went up to where he had been laying down and found two blood pools. When I tried to go in the direction he took off, again, no blood. A friend texted me and said I have two giant bulls fighting, where are you, and I responded with, I hit a giant and can't find him. I gave him the coordinates and after the bulls quit fighting, about an hour later, he showed up and we searched until dark. Nothing. We went back to my friends truck, then heard him growling on the other side of the ridge. We decided to let him alone overnight and start on the other side of the ridge in the morning. The next morning, the day after the season closed, I called Game and Fish and told them I would be looking for a hit bull. They asked me to describe the bull, my arrow, and where I shot him, and I did. They told me to call them if I found him dead or alive and they would meet me on site. We searched until dark again. We found 3 more blood pools, but no elk. My friend lived up in Heber, so for the next 3 weeks he went out looking for birds flying, predators, smell of dead animal, and never found anything. I hit him low in the chest, I think the arrow hit bone and stayed inside him. I believe when he was on his feet, the arrow plugged the hole, and when he laid down the hole opened up and he bled. I sure hope he made it because we never found him. :(

The sad thing... my friend showed me the video of the two bulls fighting and the small one was a typical 7x7 that he called in to 5 yards broadside. He has that posted on Facebook. I feel I did the right thing though.

I moved up to Overgaard in January, and I have seen a lot of bulls in the past few weeks. They are still running together right now. About 3 weeks ago, we saw 10-12 big bulls running together... 3 of them were GIANT! On sunday night my friend that helped me last year and I went for a ride in 4B, and right at dark, we saw a group of 5 big bulls running together. 5 minutes later, we saw another nice bull running by himself. Last night we saw a herd of elk in 3c with a few smaller bulls, 5x5's, and a bunch of cows.

In a few weeks the the forest is going to lite up! It's a great time of year!!!

Good luck on your hunt this year. There are a lot of nice bulls running out there.

post-10444-0-99175400-1470966615_thumb.jpg

post-10444-0-90449400-1470966622_thumb.jpg

post-10444-0-91277500-1470966671_thumb.jpg

post-10444-0-13269000-1470966684_thumb.jpg

post-10444-0-19329000-1470966692_thumb.jpg

This one is from a few years ago, Big fronts, not a giant but a very good bull.

i think I would shoot that one.

First day. First legal minute. Someday I will follow a big bull around bigger than that and put him to bed. But that rack is just beautiful.

Hey couesdeerhntr, I drew this tag also! Can't wait to get going and I love seeing all the bulls that you fellas have been posting.

Good luck out there and if you get in a jam, look me up.