Pac8541

Who's shooting feathers?

Thinking about fletching up a dozen with the Gateway 2" razor feathers. Are they better/worse? What are the consequences compared to vanes?

I shot feathers for years. Accuracy is superb and speed is good out to 30 yards. It starts to drop off and out at extreme distances there is a huge difference compared to vanes. They need to be waterproofed. There are several ways of doing it but I used to spray them with Snow Dry and carry a baggie with me. I always thought they were noisier than vanes but that didn't bother me. They get beat up pretty good but unless there is a big chunk out of them accuracy isn't affected that much.

I tried the 2" razyrs but didn't think they handled broadheads all that well. If I went back to feathers I think I would try the 3" shield cut with a good helical and get as much offset as practical. I think it would be a good compromise between the 2 and 4" feathers.

• Like 1

I shoot 4" feathers. Ring wing, hard right helical. Like a fast twist barrel, tjey stabilize a broadhead very quickly. I waterproof them too, and never had an issue. Also, feathers are lighter than vanes.

I don't have much doubt feathers will do a good job at stabilizing BHs, especially 4" ones, despite having never shot them. But what Creed said about velocity dropping off and the issue of wind drag at "extended" distance is where I find my questions. I like the fact that they're lighter than vanes, love the traditional feel of them, but ultimately it's about taking an animal and putting meat in my freezer. I train to have confidence in a 50yd shot so I want my equipment to do its part

I'd stay away from feathers on a compound bow. The few grains of arrow weight you save are not worth the durability issues + having to waterproof them.

• Like 1

Do it. I switched to feathers a few years ago just to see how they did. I encourage you to try them. I found that while I liked the lightness and flight characteristics, they get beat up during year round shooting from my 70lb compound. Feathers lack the durability of plastic. I found I had to refletch every few hundred shots. I shoot plastic until it's time to get serious, then it's a switch back to feathers in time for the hunt.

• Like 1

Do it. I switched to feathers a few years ago just to see how they did. I encourage you to try them. I found that while I liked the lightness and flight characteristics, they get beat up during year round shooting from my 70lb compound. Feathers lack the durability of plastic. I found I had to refletch every few hundred shots. I shoot plastic until it's time to get serious, then it's a switch back to feathers in time for the hunt.

Never thought about going back and forth between the 2.

I think I'll do it just to satisfy my own curiosity. heck, I've got the time...

• Like 1

Never thought about going back and forth between the 2.

I think I'll do it just to satisfy my own curiosity. heck, I've got the time...

That's the best reason there is for tinkering with anything. At least then you know if you liked it or not.

I used to shoot competitive 3D, even won the Triple Crown back in the early 2000s. I shot a few hundred arrows a week. Had to refletch about every 6 months or so, more from hitting the feathers with subsequent shots on target or by other archers. Feathers deflect off rests if contact is made better than vanes, as they flod easier but spring back to shape. I also think they are much quieter during flight. Shot a 65# compound bow @ 285fps. Shots to 80+ were common, and 100 were not out of the question.

I have taken deer, javelina, turkey, Hawaiian sheep, and elk with the same setup. Longest shot on game was 85 uards on a Hawaiian ram, an 80ish yard deer and 75ish pig. All shots were a pass through double lung with cut on contact broadbeads. Don't think that 4" feathers will limit reasonable shot distance due to loss of velocity.

• Like 1

Wow, dang good info Lance. That answers some significant questions. How's the jeep running, btw?

Is there any difference between Gateway and Trueflight? Is there another manufacturer I should be looking at?

This thread has almost got me talked back into shooting feathers again. Not only do they shoot well they look really awesome too!

• Like 2

I always shoot Gateway, as that is what my local archery shop carries.

I sold the jeep a couple years ago.

• Like 1

I always shoot Gateway, as that is what my local archery shop carries.

I sold the jeep a couple years ago.

Gonna see who carries what nearby today, maybe as far as Bass Pro or Archery HQ. I talked to Aron Snyder about this also. I consider him more of an authority somewhat in the limelight than someone like Cameron Hanes or any of the TV personalities. Aron is also employed by Kifaru whose packs I've used overseas extensively, and he's former Army Ranger or SF or something like that. Not a Marine but I'll forgive him for that... Anyway, his statement was that he'd never choose feathers over vanes due to a lack of weatherproofness and durability. But he echoed your comments on feathers being relatively equal at 40-60yds. Maybe a little more drop but not like they just fall out of the sky. And I'm not trying to imply that this is what Creed said; it isn't but I do have plans to shoot 60-80-100 yds just to dial in my shooting.

My jeep is still in the garage. It needs a new cat and I've had an 8-lug D44 waiting to install for years. Can't quite bring myself to get rid of her and my plans for it have completely shifted from future crawler to capable back country delivery system. On the other hand, selling it would provide a decent down payment on the mid sized truck I plan to buy sometime around the end of the year. We'll see.

Giving it a try. Got some samples from Ozark Feathers, shield and parabolic in both 3 and 4 inch lengths. Fletched up a few in 3 fletch and 4 fletch to see what they'll do. Sure look nice! As long as they fly well I think this is what I'm gonna run this year. I'll probably take an arrow tube with a half dozen vane fletched shafts as well but I'm really digging this idea.

IMG_3934.jpg

In the event anyone is interested, I've finished my "load development." Its been a long road full of multiple wait times and somewhat expensive parts; the process of seeing what does best out of my particular weapon is always complicated. There's nothing quite like ordering and building arrows in 2s and 3s to both fuel the excitement and frustrate my progress. So here's the final product:

Black Eagle Deep Impact 300 shafts.

3", 4-fletch Ozark feathers.

Firenock Aero Outserts (I know... we'll see).

RMS Gear Cutthroat 150gr broadheads.

Total weight: 485gr

FOC: 19%

The things fly great, we'll see how they do at distance over the next couple days.

IMG_4903.jpg