Sign in to follow this  
Cell4soul

Backpacking tent and sleeping bag

I am going to be doing a backpack hunt in Wyoming this year. I didn't draw deer, but gonna hike in with my buddy and help him try to put down a big buck. Wyoming weather can change quickly. Last year we hunted 90 degrees one day and two days later we were hunting below freezing with sleet and snow. Winds were blowing about 30-40 mph. So, I am looking at a 4 season tent. I think I am willing to sacrifice a little weight to know I have a tent that can stand up to all that can be thrown at it. My research has brought me to the Hilleberg Suolo or possibly their Unna model. I am leaning towards the Suolo because it will give me a dry place to keep wet boots or gear outside of my sleeping quarters. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a lightweight 4 season tent?

For sleeping bags, I haven't started searching much, but I have read some good reviews on the Kifaru Slick Bag in either the 0 or 20 degree model. I am looking for bag suggestions as well.

I would like to go as light as possible on my backpack gear, but don't want to sacrifice my comfort when the weather turns (trying to sleep when you are freezing cold is not fun). Thanks in advance for your input.

Top pic is Suolo, bottom pic is Unna.

post-13685-0-64546500-1499432896_thumb.jpg

post-13685-0-52213900-1499432909_thumb.jpg

I think it will be hard to beat a hilleberg for reliability and knowing when it hits the fan your tent is gonna work.

• Like 2

I have 2 Hilleberg tents and love them. Truly bomb proof. An Atko and a Kaitum 3 GT.

As for bags, my favorite are Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends.

I also carry a Luxrylite or Ultralite cot and a insulated pad.

• Like 1

I have 2 Hilleberg tents and love them. Truly bomb proof. An Atko and a Kaitum 3 GT.

As for bags, my favorite are Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends.

I also carry a Luxrylite or Ultralite cot and a insulated pad.

I like the idea of a cot and was actually thinking about one. I think sleeping off the ground with little sacrifice in pack weight would be key. I have been looking at the Helinox Cot Lite. With your Western Mountaineering bags, it looks like they are goose down. Do you know if they are treated down, or do you need to be extra careful not to get them wet? The bags look really nice and are light weight, so I think this may be a great option. I am thinking the Versalite 10 degree bag.

The down in mine isnt treated or is the bag waterproof. I havent had much of a problem venting my Hillibergs. I am planning on getting a waterproof cover. If I were to buy another bag I'd get the GWS Antelope or Badger. Gore Wind stopper is pretty waterproof.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/sleeping-bags/gore-windstopper-series/antelope-gws/

The Luxury-lite cot has been worth the carry weight. I have a bad back and it has been a lifesaver. Getting great sleep is the secret for hunting harder.

Have you checked out tarptent.com? I have the StratoSpire 1 and while it's definitely not as bombproof as a Hilliberg they are very lightweight and a fraction of the cost

Have you checked out tarptent.com? I have the StratoSpire 1 and while it's definitely not as bombproof as a Hilliberg they are very lightweight and a fraction of the cost

Ive got the moment dw and like you said it's lightweight but definitely not as bombproof

I ended up purchasing the Hilleberg Soulo. I am fine with a little extra weight to know I have a bomb proof, do it all tent. For a bag I ended up with the REI Magma 10. The bag had really good reviews. It is 850 fill treated down.

For shelter I would get a tipi with a stove. You cant beat them, they are also lighter than a high quality 4 season tent. I have a 4 man and large stove, love it.

https://seekoutside.com/ultralight-backpacking-tents/

https://seekoutside.com/sale/?redirect_mongo_id=59960149c5ba33001d0000aa&utm_source=Springbot&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Email

Saw this thread and as I was scrolling through I was gonna suggest the Magma 10... Just pulled the trigger on it last week. Super warm and super light weight! Good choice! Have a backpack hunt coming up in December and have no doubt it'll perform well.

Cheers

• Like 1