Photo

*Updated 9/5* Bear Skull Cleaning Finished!!!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rossislider

rossislider

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

To preface this, for those of you who might not know, my almost 13 year old son, Draysen, got licensed as a taxidermist this past spring through AZGFD and started a skull cleaning business. The members of CWT have been extremely supportive as he got started by donating equipment, sharing tips, and trusting him with their trophies. Since March he has cleaned in the neighborhood of 100 skulls with the help of a little free labor from dad. It has turned into quite the venture for him

This past weekend I was contacted by CWT member Smith2260 about having Draysen clean a bear skull for him from his weekend hunt. While working on it this evening, my son and I talked about sharing the step by step process with you all. Smith 2260 was kind enough to allow us to use his pictures and share the updates, so here goes. I will continue to update this post over the next week or two as we continue the work on the skull.
IMG_1628.JPG image1.JPG

The hide had been removed prior to receiving the skull, so Draysen's first step was was to separate the jaw and remove as much excess flesh as possible in preparation for simmering.
0815171802-1.jpg 0815171803.jpg 0815171803c-1.jpg 0815171803d-1.jpg 0815171841-1.jpg 0815171841a-2.jpg

Simmered in a pot of water and detergent on low heat for about 30 minutes.
0815171847a-1.jpg 0815171847.jpg

After removing it from the pot he used a pressure washer to remove all remaining flesh, brain matter, etc.
0815172006-1.jpg 0815172103-1.jpg 0815172103a-1.jpg 0815172103b-1.jpg 0815172104-1.jpg

At this point in needs to soak in the whitener for at least a week to whiten and slowly draw out the grease from the skull.
0815172107-1.jpg

More to come...

*Update 8/22/17*

We are exactly one week in now, and pulled the bear from the degreasing/whitening agent. It is coming out fantastic!

You will notice that most of the smaller teeth from the top front jaw have been pulled. The smaller ones from the bottom jaw are equally loose, but we left them in for the picture. Most of the big teeth have become loose as well. This happens as the peroxide "disolves" the tissue down in the small spaces down by the roots. One of the final completion steps will be to glue them back in.

For now, he has gone to a second step in the degreasing to remove some more of that deep embedded grease from the skull. After a few days of this, he will let to skull dry to see if any grease starts to appear and will go from there.

0822170615-1.jpg 0822170615a-1.jpg 0822170615b-1.jpg

*Updated 9/5/17*

After the previous pictures, he had to go back in the degreaser for a while. He is now finished up, has a sealer coat and is ready to go home.

0905171526-1.jpg 0905171526_HDR-1.jpg 0905171526a-1.jpg 0905171526a_HDR-1.jpg 0905171527b-1.jpg

#2 Big Browns

Big Browns

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fly Fishing, Glassing and spending time with my wife and kids.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final results.  Great job Draysen! 

I'm sure I can speak for the entire CW community and say we are very proud of you!  You can accomplish anything in life with a good attitude and a great work ethic.  Keep up the great work!!!!!

#3 Zeke-BE

Zeke-BE

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts
  • Interests:A lot of everything. I'm a mile wide and a inch deep, but hunting has been the only thing that is consistent in my life.

Nothing is cooler then seeing youth think outside the box and find ways to get into a market place and make money!!!  Good for you guys and especially your son!!   Keep the report coming because I haven't mastered the skull cleaning to a T yet.   

#4 crotalus

crotalus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Hiking, Golf, Herpetology, Toxicology, Venom Research, Reading, Being Alone in the Mountains
That's awesome. What whitener is he using? Major kudos on his getting his taxidermy license. Very inspiring young man.
"Armed we are citizens, unarmed we are subjects."

#5 rossislider

rossislider

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
Thanks. It is a 6% peroxide solution.

#6 rossislider

rossislider

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts
36 hours in the whitening/degreasing solution and you can see that the bone has gotten extremely white. Were this an ungulate, it would probably be pulled, but due the the density of the grease in a bear, it will be left in for several more days as the peroxide continues to draw out the grease.

There are many degreasing methods that different people use, but based on the several degreasing studies/tests we have read, watched, and tried, this method has yielded the best long term results for us.

0817170612-1.jpg

#7 rossislider

rossislider

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Updates and pictures added above to the original post.

He now has a business Facebook page as well as Instagram. Give him a follow.

Facebook - Great Hunter Skullz

Instagram - gr8hunterskullz

#8 rossislider

rossislider

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Final pictures have been added to the top.

#9 Big Browns

Big Browns

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fly Fishing, Glassing and spending time with my wife and kids.

Looks really good Draysen!!!!!!

#10 Bjorn16

Bjorn16

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Fantastic results what a great looking skull

#11 Rock30golf

Rock30golf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Being out doors do anything.

How do i get a hold of you. I have a mule deer skull that i want a euro done

#12 rossislider

rossislider

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

How do i get a hold of you. I have a mule deer skull that i want a euro done

PM sent.

#13 Edge

Edge

Premier Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Hunting, Fishing, Martial Arts and History
Nice work!

#14 mbiewer

mbiewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Heading out this weekend. what are your rates? (just for reference)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users