I have a 300RSAUM and want to turn it into a 6.5 creedmoor. My question is should I buy complete bolt to fit 6.5? Install new bolt body for 6.5 and use the rest of the original bolt? Or trade someone who wants a magnum short action bolt. The bolt is for a Remington 700.

Thanks for you thoughts and info.

Be very careful swapping complete bolt assembly's. You would think it would work with no issues but I have seen very bad things happen. If you contact Remington they will require you to send the complete rifle to them.

Thanks, I will contact Remington and see what they say.

As a mechanic my whole life I cannot figure out why bolts cannot not be interchanged. To me it is just a mechanical tool, but that is why I am asking Yall for info, thanks again.

Since you will be re-barreling, a bolt switch should not be an issue as the new chamber will be cut to the proper headspace. The downsize in cartridge case diameter may have magazine box /follower implications though, not sure with 700s.

• Like 1

If your rebarreling Andrey chambering the bolt swap is not an issue. As Mike S stated the new Barrel will be headspace to the new Bolt. If you were to remove your old Bolt and replace it with a new bolt for the same caliber your head spacing would probably be off. I expect you might find an issue with the action I believe the feed rails inside the action for the Magnum cartridge are cut wider than those for a 308 class cartridge.

Your 7 mm RSAUM has a .540" bolt face while the Creedmoor uses a .470 bolt face, so you will have to get a new bolt. A .470 bolt face can easily be opened up to .540--going the other way can be done, but it will be a lot more expensive than just buying and fitting a new bolt. Unless you are running a detachable magazine, the feed rails will also be a problem--again, opening them up is easy, going the other way is not.

If you really want a Creedmoor, I would suggest selling you current rifle and buying a new one--it will be less expensive.

Buy a one piece stainless bolt from Pacific tool&guage. They are excellent. You can sell your old bolt. You could use the old firing pin assembly as long as you plan on shooting large primers in the Creedmoor. Your gunsmith can fit the new bolt to your new barrel. Buy a Krieger. You will also need to change the mag box, follower, and spring on your 700. Feed rails should work with the Creedmoor. When you're done you will have a very accurate rifle that will shoot much better than any factory rifle out there. Selling your rifle and then buying a factory rifle will be a cheaper way to go but that will depend on what you expect accuracy wise.

• Like 1

A new bare bolt from PT&G will run $230-$280, depending on which one you choose. Your credit card will be charged when you place the order and delivery may take a week or so, or it may take up to six months, based on current feedback on several web sites. A new magazine assembly will run in the $50-$80 dollar range, although they can be found a little cheaper, used, on various internet sites.

The last Krieger barrel that I priced, earlier this year, was $640 plus shipping--for just a standard caliber and standard profile. Cheaper barrels are available from several makers--Green Mountain is one of the more affordable sources, and their barrels have a good reputation for accuracy. Chambering and fitting the barrel and bolt will run from $150-$250, unless you think that you can do it yourself. If you choose to do it yourself, you will have to rent a reamer, too, and find a lathe that can be set up properly. If you have never done one, I would advise against it.

I have heard of a few builds that went from magnum cartridges to non-magnum in which the rifles fed OK, but more commonly the feed rails will need some work.

When you are finished, the accuracy of the rifle will depend a lot on the skill of the whoever fits and assembles it. The better custom gunsmiths tend to be busy, as well as more expensive.

Folks like Cazador and me like custom rifles and are willing to spend the money to get just what we want. However, our rifles end up costing at least double (or more) what a factory rifle chambered for the same cartridge will run, and the resale value for custom rifles is usually about half of what they cost to build. YMMV.