Gr8 White Jr

What to do in Denver?

I am in Denver on business for two weeks and should have this Sunday free for the whole day. Have any of you been in the Denver area and have any suggestions on what to do with my free day. The beautiful Rocky Mtns are just outside of town so I may take a drive and see where I end up. :o I can't believe most of the peaks still have snow on them when its 110* in Phx. I am kicking myself for not bringing my boots and my binos. <_<

-Tracy

Hi Tracy,

I have been in Denver on business a few times. If you have an afternoon or evening, you can hit several sites. If you want a little exercise there is a place called something like the Rocky mtn arsenal. Despite it's name, it's a refuge of sorts that has some trails you can walk and a lot of wetlands where you can look at ducks. It's a great place to unwind after meetings.

Then there is the museum of natural history and the museum of art which are both excellent.

As for a place to visit on Sunday, perhaps Estes Park would be doable. I think it's not far from Denver and has great elk watching and hiking.

Amanda

GWJR,

I spent my birthday last summer in Vail. You can't go wrong heading to Estes or up I70 and check out some of the mountain towns. Breckenridge is really cool. Go flyfishing for the day, rent a bike and ride the pass down to vail. White water raftfing is also an option up that way. Denver is cool, but it's just another city. The real Colorado lies in the mountains (imo).

Good luck and post some pics when you get back.. and it was only 105 today ;)

AzP&Y

post-898-1218771468_thumb.jpg

post-898-1218771482_thumb.jpg

post-898-1218771511_thumb.jpg

post-898-1218771523_thumb.jpg

I am base out of Longmont, for a cool day trip other than the standard Estes Park drive try going into Fort Collins and up the Pouder Canyon up to Steamboat. You have the chance to see deer, elk, bighorns, and moose. You could spend $14.00 on a day fishing license and you would be driving past some of the premier blue ribbon waters in the world. You dont have to be a purist flyfisherman take a lightweight spinning outfit and Z-rays, or Panther Martins I have to fly out on Sunday afternoon for a job or I would offer to take you. Give me a PM shout today and I'' get you my contact info If you want some other ideas.

Geoff

AKA Cowboy

Thanks for the ideas! I went and visited with one of my dad's friends yesterday evening. He moved from Phx to Denver a couple of years ago. He is who got me into hunting with a muzzle loader when I was 14 years old. Anyway, he suggested Estes Park as well so tomorrow morning we are going to head up there and he is going to show me around. I'm really looking forward to it! Hope to see some wildlife! I will let you know how it goes.

-Tracy

Well I was going to wait untill I had some pics to show but I haven't recieved them yet. I didn't have a camera on Sunday so my dad's friend Mark brought his and he is going to email them to me. We drove up through Estes Park and took the highway that loops through the Rocky Mtn. National Park. I really don't even know what to say! It was so amazing it left me speechless! It was some of the most beautiful country that I have ever seen. When we got to the highest point of about 12000 ft it was 35 degrees and there was about 6 to 8 inches of snow on the ground, IN AUGUST! :blink: We saw some really nice bull elk but we didn't get any pictures of them because we couldn't get the camera out in time. We did however get some pictures of an elk herd feeding in a meadow and a cow and calf moose. It was the first time I have ever seen a moose and it was amazing! It was like a dream watching such a magnificent animal. I really can't find the words to explain what a wonderful experience it was. I will post the pictures as soon as I get them.

-Tracy

Dude, Sorry I missed the thread. I was out of town for work in MN and WI so was not checking email or the CW site that closely. I get down to Denver to the airport often and can agree that Estes was the way to go for your day trip.

Whatever you do, DON'T check in Pelosi's hotel with your cased rifle. :ph34r: It's all over the news - some guy got arrested for that.