Sign in to follow this  
azhuntnut

moon digiscoping

I picked up a new digiscoping adapter from Cabelas last week and decided to give it a try tonight with the full moon. I am using a Nikon Coolpix 8.0 megapixel camera, and a Nikon 13-30x50mm ED angled body spotting scope. I set the scope on 30 power and barely zoomed in with the camera. The adapter is very easy to use and you are able to adjust it to fit your scope. Cabelas also has one to fit larger eyepiece spotting scopes. David

DSCN0009.jpg

DSCN0010.jpg

Digiscoping is a pretty neat deal. I would like to do it out in the field, I just have second thoughts, as my daypack is already overloaded and gets to be a real burden at the end of the day :( How much do you think your setup weighs? Just curious.

Here are a couple pics I took through my spotting scope during the lunar eclipse several months ago. I just hand hold mine (no adapter), so they are not as clear as yours, but I still like trying it.

post-1-1219004938.jpg

post-1-1219004948.jpg

Snapshot, The scope only weighs 16.6oz and the adapter is plastic, so the combo isn't much weight. My tripod is around four pounds. I used to carry my Swaro ATS 80 around until I got my Nikon. Now I would like to find a carbon fiber tripod to go with my Nikon. Now that would be nice and light. David

Wow, this may be a first, somebody actually changed from Swarovski TO Nikon.....

What was the price? I've also been thinking about doing something like that. I have the Nikon Fieldscope T-3 15-45 ED and really like it. I'm just getting tired of trying to hold my camera free hand.

Nice pic! Digiscoping during the day of the moon can be very nice as well .This was not digiscoped , but rather taken with zoom lens. During the day something in the foreground makes for a nice contrast..

AzP&Y

post-898-1219118470_thumb.jpg

Super shots, sweet set up... I really love moon pix but they are major pain to set up. Can't wait to see what you all post when ya scouting for the really big one. Thanx for post'n. ;)

I have the same adapter for my spotting scope/camera and it is very easy to use. Got some nice pictures of some deer the first time i took it out will post some when i get home!

Here is the link for Cabelas. I am also going to try my little Panasonic video camera, and my Canon digital camera on it. David

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

I have one of these and I haven't been very happy with it. It's ok if the object - in my case deer - are stationary but if they are moving you can't track them very well. Also by the time you get the thing setup the objects are out of the picture. I would not recommend this device.