Sign in to follow this  
Pac8541

Help with a clutch?

Weird question, I know.  

I need to replace the clutch in a 94 Jeep Wrangler and was wondering if there was someone in the east valley that might be willing to help me do it.  I want to learn HOW to do it, not have someone do it for me while I watch.  Willing to provide food/beer and a reasonable fee for your time.  I had a guy help me with this very thing off this forum quite a while ago but I don't remember a thing about what we did.  Looking at end of the month to do this.  Thanks. 

• Like 1

If all else fails when I wanna try something new and nobody is around to teach me I attend youtube University

• Like 1

My suggestion is to join a JEEP Forum. I second what CFK said about youtube. At the very least you will probably need a floorjack to drop the trans and transfer case although you can probably take the transfercase off then drop the trans.

You will probably want to have the flywheel resurfaced and maybe replace the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and pressure plate while you have it apart. You can call Justin Norpel at Transmissions Done Right in Tempe and talk to him to get some pointers.

If the flywheel does not need to be taken to a machine shop like AZ Brake and Clutch on I-17 you are looking at 4-5 hours.

• Like 1

P

9 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

My suggestion is to join a JEEP Forum. I second what CFK said about youtube. At the very least you will probably need a floorjack to drop the trans and transfer case although you can probably take the transfercase off then drop the trans.

You will probably want to have the flywheel resurfaced and maybe replace the pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and pressure plate while you have it apart. You can call Justin Norpel at Transmissions Done Right in Tempe and talk to him to get some pointers.

If the flywheel does not need to be taken to a machine shop like AZ Brake and Clutch on I-17 you are looking at 4-5 hours.

Fly wheels are cheap. All good clutch kits come with pilot bearings, main bearings. If your keeping the Jeep change the slave cylinder 

• Like 1

I did a few on a few jeeps,, the latest one was my daughters 97 TJ..

both I did by myself alone in the shop at night. its fairly simple you do need 2 decent floor jacks and a jack stand to support engine.

2 ways to do it, keep it bolted to the skid plate and unbbolt everything else tranny and transfer case all in one. or take off skid plate then transfercase then tranny.

the best way however is pull the front clip off and grab a cherry picker and pull everything at once. faster and easier but takes longer.

sorry I'm on the west side

• Like 1

oh if your jeeps lifted its easier than a stock height jeep as your arms have more support.

since your going to have it out for a clutch. I personally would tear into the trasmission and transfer case and make sure everything is perfect replace all seals as well. the kits are pretty cheap for parts. if you dont want to tackle the trasmission and transfercase there is a guy on the west side that will do it for you extreamly reasonable and he knows his shoot. he probably does 10-20 a month manual trannys and transfer cases. generally has all parts at his house including hard to find expensive parts that are good but used.

• Like 1