Sign in to follow this  
billrquimby

MY BOOK IN CATALOG

Hope this doesn't seem like self-serving ego-puffing, but some of you have asked when my own book will be available.

Safari Press is taking orders now for "Sixty Years A Hunter," if anyone is interested. It's listed on the SP website and in the company's next catalog as being a signed and numbered limited edition available in "Winter 2009" for $65.

About a third of the chapters cover my quest to take the Arizona Big Ten; another third cover a few hunts in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Zambia; and the final third are about hunting in Europe, Asia, New Zealand, and South America. There also is a chapter with some insights into SCI and its founder gained from sixteen years as a contractor producing that club's magazines, newspapers and record books.

It and some of my other books are described at the publisher's site if you do a search for "Quimby" under "author."

https://www.safaripress.com/search.php?mode=search

Bill Quimby

Thanks, all. It's appreciated.

Although the books won't be ready until at least mid-January or so, I'm telling friends to order now because only 500 will be printed in this first edition.

Safari Press says credit cards won't be charged until the books are shipped.

Bill Quimby

:)

Just ordered one - look forward to reading it! It will be a nice surprise when it shows up in the mail. Thanks Bill

Bob "gmcbob"

Just ordered one - look forward to reading it! It will be a nice surprise when it shows up in the mail. Thanks Bill

Bob "gmcbob"

Thank YOU, Bob.

Bill Quimby

I ordered one as well. And also Bill has agreed to donate a signed book to the Coues contest!! Thank you for your generosity Bill!! And for those that don't know, Bill is also a talented artist who donates his artwork to CW.com for logos and tshirts! His was the front logo on the long sleeve shirt.

Thank you Bill!!

Amanda

I ordered one as well. And also Bill has agreed to donate a signed book to the Coues contest!! Thank you for your generosity Bill!! And for those that don't know, Bill is also a talented artist who donates his artwork to CW.com for logos and tshirts! His was the front logo on the long sleeve shirt.

Thank you Bill!!

Amanda

Thank you, Amanda, for buying my book but, more than that, for creating and maintaining this site. It provides this old man many hours of fun reading about the exploits of younger Coues whitetail hunters.

I especially enjoyed seeing the photo this week of the young lady bowhunter with her beautiful buck. Congratulations to her! In sixty years of hunting in this state I've seen only one live Arizona whitetail with antlers that would come close to matching the antlers on her buck, and it jumped up a second after I shot a smaller one. To take such a deer with a bow is a heck of an achievement!

It would be wonderful to be young and healthy again, and able to walk and climb hills as I once did. I urge you all to squeeze in all the hunts you can while you can.

Bill Quimby

Thank you Bill!!

Amanda

Thank you, Amanda, for buying my book but, more than that, for creating and maintaining this site. It provides this old man many hours of fun reading about the exploits of younger Coues whitetail hunters.

I especially enjoyed seeing the photo this week of the young lady bowhunter with her beautiful buck. Congratulations to her! In sixty years of hunting in this state I've seen only one live Arizona whitetail with antlers that would come close to matching the antlers on her buck, and it jumped up a second after I shot a smaller one. To take such a deer with a bow is a heck of an achievement!

It would be wonderful to be young and healthy again, and able to walk and climb hills as I once did. I urge you all to squeeze in all the hunts you can while you can.

Bill Quimby

You are most welcome Bill!

Love that "I've seen only one live Arizona whitetail with antlers that would come close to matching the antlers on her buck, and it jumped up a second after I shot a smaller one" ------ hehehe, classic!

"I urge you all to squeeze in all the hunts you can while you can." ---That's advice I try to take to heart!

Amanda

>>>>>>"Love that "I've seen only one live Arizona whitetail with antlers that would come close to matching the antlers on her buck, and it jumped up a second after I shot a smaller one" ------ hehehe, classic!">>>>>>>>

It's the story of my life, Amanda.

The best bull elk I ever saw when I had an elk tag in my pocket suddenly appeared on a steep ridge above Chitty Creek (below Hannagan Meadow) when I stood up to cross the canyon to climb across to gut a cow elk I'd just shot. My tag was for any elk, and the bull was standing exactly where the cow had stood when I killed her a couple of minutes earlier. I swear that bull's antlers could have scratched its rump.

I did what any hunter would do: I removed the rounds from my rifle, centered the crosshairs on that bull's chest, slowly squeezed the trigger, and loudly yelled, "Bang! You're dead."

About the same thing happened with a Lichtenstein hartebeest bull in Zambia, and another big bull elk in Mongolia.

Funny thing. Such incidents rank high in my memories of a lifetime of hunting. Hunts when nothing went wrong and nothing memorable happened other than a "trophy" was collected don't mean as much to me.

One of my most memorable hunts was an archery antelope hunt south of the Apache Maid lookout in the late 1960s, and I had the only shot our party of three got in a week -- and I missed! It rained cows and horses all day and night and we didn't see the sun for five days. We stuck my truck up to its doors every time we moved it and we all were constantly covered with a thick coat of heavy mud, making our boots weigh at least 20 pounds each. We drank bacanora and played Fantan for pennies every night in a tent that leaked bucketsful. The highlight of the trip was when a Porta-Potty chair broke while one of my partners was using it. It was a heck of a hunt, and I'd love to relive every minute of it.

Bill Quimby

>>>>>>"Love that "I've seen only one live Arizona whitetail with antlers that would come close to matching the antlers on her buck, and it jumped up a second after I shot a smaller one" ------ hehehe, classic!">>>>>>>>

It's the story of my life, Amanda.

The best bull elk I ever saw when I had an elk tag in my pocket suddenly appeared on a steep ridge above Chitty Creek (below Hannagan Meadow) when I stood up to cross the canyon to climb across to gut a cow elk I'd just shot. My tag was for any elk, and the bull was standing exactly where the cow had stood when I killed her a couple of minutes earlier. I swear that bull's antlers could have scratched its rump.

I did what any hunter would do: I removed the rounds from my rifle, centered the crosshairs on that bull's chest, slowly squeezed the trigger, and loudly yelled, "Bang! You're dead."

About the same thing happened with a Lichtenstein hartebeest bull in Zambia, and another big bull elk in Mongolia.

Funny thing. Such incidents rank high in my memories of a lifetime of hunting. Hunts when nothing went wrong and nothing memorable happened other than a "trophy" was collected don't mean as much to me.

One of my most memorable hunts was an archery antelope hunt south of the Apache Maid lookout in the late 1960s, and I had the only shot our party of three got in a week -- and I missed! It rained cows and horses all day and night and we didn't see the sun for five days. We stuck my truck up to its doors every time we moved it and we all were constantly covered with a thick coat of heavy mud, making our boots weigh at least 20 pounds each. We drank bacanora and played Fantan for pennies every night in a tent that leaked bucketsful. The highlight of the trip was when a Porta-Potty chair broke while one of my partners was using it. It was a heck of a hunt, and I'd love to relive every minute of it.

Bill Quimby

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good stuff Bill! Can't wait to read the book. Too bad I have to wait until Feb! Oh well, it will be a nice surprise when it shows up.

Amanda

>>>>>"Good stuff Bill! Can't wait to read the book. Too bad I have to wait until Feb! Oh well, it will be a nice surprise when it shows up. Amanda">>>>>>

Is February when Safari Press said it would ship? I was hoping it would be ready for Christmas, or at least for the SCI and Dallas Safari Club conventions in January.

Bill Quimby

>>>>>"Good stuff Bill! Can't wait to read the book. Too bad I have to wait until Feb! Oh well, it will be a nice surprise when it shows up. Amanda">>>>>>

Is February when Safari Press said it would ship? I was hoping it would be ready for Christmas, or at least for the SCI and Dallas Safari Club conventions in January.

Bill Quimby

No, I was going off what you told me....Jan or early Feb.

Amanda

Bill,

Have you gotten anymore word on when your book might come out? I just got the Safari Press catalog and it says available in Spring 2009. I am dying to get my copy!

And WoW!! What a great selection of books in that catalog. If I could, I would buy bunches of them!

Amanda