Sign in to follow this  
el diablo

Tipping guides

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

Most hunters don't believe they should tip after the guide service cost. Or don't even knowvtgere supposed to.

That really hasn't been my experience. I've never expected or counted on it but I can only think of twice in 5 years that I haven't been tipped. But... because we do a lot of desert muley hunts, we tend to get a different kind of hunter. Most of our hunters have a ton of experience and have been on a lot of guided hunts. I think that makes a big difference. 

Meaning they have money, I respect what your saying. I guess i'm talking about the hunters who save for years  and finally get drawn and spend $7000 on a elk , sometims like me last year never even seeing one , then have to tell there wife who doesn't like hunting anyway that he needs another $1500 for tips. Thats what I meant. Great conversation. Let your conscience be your guide..

• Like 2

On 5/23/2021 at 12:05 PM, wildwoody said:

Meaning they have money, I respect what your saying. I guess i'm talking about the hunters who save for years  and finally get drawn and spend $7000 on a elk , sometims like me last year never even seeing one , then have to tell there wife who doesn't like hunting anyway that he needs another $1500 for tips. Thats what I meant. Great conversation. Let your conscience be your guide..

If a "guide" cannot find an elk for you to see they shouldn't even get paid unless it was like an OTC elk hunt where numbers are super low. In most units you should be seeing elk daily. 

• Like 2

True , could of shot a million fing side by sides.

On 5/23/2021 at 12:05 PM, wildwoody said:

Oh gotcha, I get what you're saying. Yeah there are definitely a lot of those guys. I actually love hunting with guys like that. Had a hunter kill a giant in the desert a couple years ago who was in that boat. Still talk to him. If I told you his story you'd get choke up. 

• Like 1

When it's goodl service I do $100/day to the guide (which does work out to 10-15% of the package if you're out all 5-7 days. $500 minimum, my first elk hunt was 2hrs long) and $50/day to the cook & any working assistant Guide. Straphangers or other guys in camp just out for the fun don't get anything. The cook also keeps the camp clean, wood stove stocked, pot of coffee always on - things you appreciate after being out all day. This is unless the guide is also the owner, in that case he's already been paid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish Rob said:

When it's goodl service I do $100/day to the guide (which does work out to 10-15% of the package if you're out all 5-7 days. $500 minimum, my first elk hunt was 2hrs long) and $50/day to the cook & any working assistant Guide. Straphangers or other guys in camp just out for the fun don't get anything. The cook also keeps the camp clean, wood stove stocked, pot of coffee always on - things you appreciate after being out all day. This is unless the guide is also the owner, in that case he's already been paid.

That's a little better than the average I see. What lowers our average are the corporate otc deer hunts. They're great groups but the guys getting the free hunts aren't usually guys that would go on a guided hunt. I've actually had guys that HATE guides in their home states. They definitely leave with a different view of outfitters and guides.