Sign in to follow this  
seek100plus

Stuck bullet in a 300 mag

>>>>>>>The question of the day is ,should I take my gun to a reputable gunsmith and have him tear the gun back down again and re bluebrint the whole action and barrel over again.I am only concerned, because this gunsmith is not very known for building long range shooters and I was not inpressed with his shop ,his place looked like my son's bedroom and I have always heard a great gunsmith you can tell by his shop and his tools ,were thrown every where like my 16 old neighbor working on is car.I am thankful he got the bullet out , but still concered.<<<<<<<<

Roy Dunlap has been dead for many years now, but a few of you may remember him as the author of "Gunsmithing," which has been in print since the mid-1950s. I don't know of any other book on the subject that has sold anywhere near the copies as his book.

Roy built rilfes for many Olympic, Palma, and metalica silueta shooters. The tools and supplies in his shop were all over the place, except when when he needed a photo to illustrate a magazine article. Then he'd clean up the areas that might be seen in the shot.

>>>>>>>> .Gunsmith think's that I used a old casing that was not shot out of my gun, when the bullet got stuck >>>>>>>>>

Sounds as if you did not full-length resize the case, which had been fired in a maximum-size chamber of another rifle.

To force it into the chamber you must have pounded on the bolt with the heel of your hand (this exerts a heck of a lot of force, even though you really aren't pounding hard). Then, when you couldn't completely close the bolt, you forced the bolt open (again by pounding with your hand), and the extractor slipped over or tore through the soft brass cartridge rim, leaving the case jammed in the chamber.

Another scenario could have been the case needed trimming before you reloaded it. A brass case stretches each time it is used, and some new and unfired cases also are simply too long. If the throat of your rifle's chamber is on the short side, it could fold the case back and jam it in the chamber, too.

Check the case the gunsmith removed. The extractor markings on the rim should provide some clues.

It shouldn't happen again if:

1.) you check the length of all cases -- new and fired -- before you reload (there is an-easy-to-use tool for this),

2,) you follow the instructions for full-length resizing that came with your reloading dies,

3.) your sizing die actually prepares cases for a minimum chamber. (Have someone check your loaded cases with a micrometer.)

Bill Quimby

If you are useing cases from a different gun they may need to be run through a small base die!

FWIW, both of the gunsmiths I have used also have shops that I would politely describe as untidy and in various states of disarray. These men have a method to their madness and often march to the beat of drummers you and I cannot hear, so don't be too quick to discount the guy who has already helped you out with your rig just because his shop did not appear as you would have expected.

The likely source of your problem is too long brass, unresized brass, &/or a bullet not seated deeply enough, all of which has been pointed out by others here. If your rifle were mine, I'd clean it, inspect the bore for any damage from the rods pounded down the barrel, buy a box of factory ammo and head for the range to shoot it. Make sure you segregate your brass by manufacturer, resize the lots, and then measure each piece for length and trim to the specs noted in any of several reloading manuals. Making sure you have a proper OAL with your bullet of choice is your final step. This should go a long ways towards preventing your handloading mishap from happening again.

.300 magnums are fine rigs and the ones I've loaded for and handled have been nicely accurate. Good luck with your rifle and handloads and have a fun and safe hunting season.

Jim

When I reload for hunting, I start with all new brass. 30 bucks for 100 30-06, that I know have never been shot, stepped on, or misused. I check all cases with a mic,trim, re size, , recheck with a mic, visually inspect, clean, then reload. Never had a problem.

When I reload for hunting, I start with all new brass. 30 bucks for 100 30-06, that I know have never been shot, stepped on, or misused. I check all cases with a mic,trim, re size, , recheck with a mic, visually inspect, clean, then reload. Never had a problem.

I just returned from sighting in a pretty Remington Model 700 6.5 Rem. Mag. I've acquired.

Although I ordered 100 rounds of unprimed cases from Midway, I also bought two boxes of Remington factory ammo in the event I wouldn't have time to develop my own load before my deer hunt.

While shooting to get the scope where I wanted it, I was shocked to find that one of the live factory rounds would not chamber! (The bolt closed easily on all of the 39 other rounds when I checked.)

It will take someone with a micrometer caliper to find out what is wrong with that case. Although it appears to be no different than the others, it obviously must be oversize.

In more than 60 years of shooting I've never experienced such a thing.

Bill Quimby

I have had two factory loads with bad primers in the past. I have only had one in my reloads.